How crucial is Extension 1 Maths? (1 Viewer)

Prayandslay

HSC
Hi there, i've been doing a lot of soul-searching for 3 unit maths, and i've come to the conclusion that many may arrive to at this time of the HSC year: "is 3 unit worth it?". Now my biggest concern with 3 unit math is University. I'm hoping to do undergraduate medicine (Medical Science or Advanced Science or some other degree and then sit my GAMSAT), however i'm not sure whether or not extension 1 maths is crucial for this pathway? I didn't do very well for the first assessment (32/55), but it only weighed 10%, so i'm not too worried. In regards to other subjects, i do:
Chemistry
Physics
SOR (completed in year 11, got 94)
2 Unit Maths (completed in year 11, got 92)
Adv English
3 Unit English
4 Unit English
So right now, i have 12 units (including 3 unit maths and the 2 year 11 HSCs), and have the room to drop 2 units, and am determined to drop those 2 units before trials, because i don't feel like i need the extra 2 units.
So if anyone has any similar experience, or any help at all, i would really appreciate the comment; and if you have any questions that could help you help me, i'd be more than willing to answer them.
Thank you :)

TL;DR Any advice on what i should do with 3 unit maths, especially in regards to it's necessity in Undergraduate Medicine (or Univeristy in general) would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Hi there, i've been doing a lot of soul-searching for 3 unit maths, and i've come to the conclusion that many may arrive to at this time of the HSC year: "is 3 unit worth it?". Now my biggest concern with 3 unit math is University. I'm hoping to do undergraduate medicine (Medical Science or Advanced Science or some other degree and then sit my GAMSAT), however i'm not sure whether or not extension 1 maths is crucial for this pathway? I didn't do very well for the first assessment (32/55), but it only weighed 10%, so i'm not too worried. In regards to other subjects, i do:
Chemistry
Physics
SOR (completed in year 11, got 94)
2 Unit Maths (completed in year 11, got 92)
Adv English
3 Unit English
4 Unit English
So right now, i have 12 units (including 3 unit maths and the 2 year 11 HSCs), and have the room to drop 2 units, and am determined to drop those 2 units before trials, because i don't feel like i need the extra 2 units.
So if anyone has any similar experience, or any help at all, i would really appreciate the comment; and if you have any questions that could help you help me, i'd be more than willing to answer them.
Thank you :)

TL;DR Any advice on what i should do with 3 unit maths, especially in regards to it's necessity in Undergraduate Medicine (or Univeristy in general) would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Maths Extension 1 is not necessary for Medicine in terms of content (i.e. there's not much maths in Medicine).

helloimyellow

HSC
It might not be very helpful for Medicine, but it can help you get there if you perform well in it. I did fairly poorly in my first assessment as well (~rank 60 out of 100 or so students), but as it only had a 10% weighting (like yours), it wasn't too much of a setback. It seems you are already quite strong in maths, so maybe keep at it until the half-yearlies before deciding whether to drop it?

braintic

HSC
N/A
Since you mention Medical Science, this from the UNSW Medical Science course:

Students with a strong Mathematical background (i.e. a result over 90 in HSC Mathematics, or combined result over 100 in HSC Mathematics and HSC Mathematics Extension 1) may consider enrolling in higher level Mathematics courses instead of MATH1041 Statistics for Life and Social Sciences in their first year. Where students are interested, and able, they can get approval from the Program Authority (Science Student Centre) to enrol in MATH1131 Mathematics 1A (semester 1) and MATH1231 Mathematics 1B (semester 2). MATH1231 Mathematics 1B will then count as the student's science elective. This is useful for students interested in Bioinformatics who may like to take stage 2 Mathematics and Statistics courses as their free electives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)