what proofs do we need to know (1 Viewer)

relativity1

HSC
What are the main proofs we need to know in 3u? Things like the trapezoidal rule, simpsons rule and log proofs dont make sense to me...do i still need to learn them and understand them?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
What are the main proofs we need to know in 3u? Things like the trapezoidal rule, simpsons rule and log proofs dont make sense to me...do i still need to learn them and understand them?
You don't need to know the proofs for Simpson's rule of Trapezoidal rule I think (to be absolutely sure, check the syllabus on the BOSTES site, but they never ask about those). Trapezoidal rule formula is easy to prove though, it's just the area of a trapezium. And what are your referring to by 'log proofs'?

leehuan

HSC
I never knew you had to remember any 'PROOFS' within the 2/3U courses.

@ InteGrand: I suspect OP got confused between what a proof was and a formula..

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I never knew you had to remember any 'PROOFS' within the 2/3U courses.

@ InteGrand: I suspect OP got confused between what a proof was and a formula..
Iirc there are things students are technically expected to be able to prove, e.g. certain circle geometry theorems, but they rarely get asked.

leehuan

HSC
Iirc there are things students are technically expected to be able to prove, e.g. certain circle geometry theorems, but they rarely get asked.
There would be guidance for those types of questions however.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
There would be guidance for those types of questions however.
Probably. Everything has guidance nowadays. Anyway, here is the syllabus for Mathematics 2U/3U Year 11-12: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/maths23u_syl.pdf

On page 28, for circle geometry, it says:

"3 Unit students will be expected to be able to prove any of the following results using properties obtained in 2.3 or 2.8.".

It then lists out most of the circle geometry theorems we learn.

leehuan

HSC
Probably. Everything has guidance nowadays. Anyway, here is the syllabus for Mathematics 2U/3U Year 11-12: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/maths23u_syl.pdf

On page 28, for circle geometry, it says:

"3 Unit students will be expected to be able to prove any of the following results using properties obtained in 2.3 or 2.8.".

It then lists out most of the circle geometry theorems we learn.
When I was taught the circle geometry theorems we did go through how to prove them (except for the radius is perpendicular to tangent drawn to point of contact) however I still have not seen anything ever get asked.

The maths syllabus, I have to admit, is quite redundant right now lol. Everyone always goes to textbooks straight away. Not sure if the new syllabus will be better.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
When I was taught the circle geometry theorems we did go through how to prove them (except for the radius is perpendicular to tangent drawn to point of contact) however I still have not seen anything ever get asked.

The maths syllabus, I have to admit, is quite redundant right now lol. Everyone always goes to textbooks straight away. Not sure if the new syllabus will be better.
People who don't read the syllabus could be in trouble if the HSC exam ended up asking for a proof of one of the circle geometry theorems. But you're right, it'd be quite surprising if the HSC exam asked for a proof of such a theorem.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Oh, and for the radius is perpendicular to tangent one, that's one that's meant to have its proof discussed in class, but the reproduction of its proof is not needed by students according to the syllabus. So maybe that's why your teacher didn't bother proving it.

leehuan

HSC
Oh, and for the radius is perpendicular to tangent one, that's one that's meant to have its proof discussed in class, but the reproduction of its proof is not needed by students according to the syllabus. So maybe that's why your teacher didn't bother proving it.
It's proof by contradiction if I recall?

TBH - A lot of the other theorems are easy to prove. Thales' theorem can be the easiest to prove, because it's a special case of the angle at centre/angle at circumference

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Last edited:

integral95

HSC
This proof gets asked a lot in trials, haven't seen it much in HSC though.

relativity1

HSC
what i meant by my question is what are the main proofs that we need to have a great understanding of ie which questions of which genre appear most in test scenarios. Just as an example would a question on exponentials require you to know WHY differentiating (e^x) an exponential gives you the same (or a very close) result

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)