Help With Euclidean Geo. Question in Cambridge Yr.12 (1 Viewer)

HSC
Having issues with Q(7)(b) in Cambridge Yr. 12 3U 8F (Areas of Plane Figures). The answers at the back say that "triangles with the same base and area have the same altitude", which means that the triangles would have the same height. But I don't see how this would lead to AB being // with DC? Help would be appreciated.

Untitled.png

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Having issues with Q(7)(b) in Cambridge Yr. 12 3U 8F (Areas of Plane Figures). The answers at the back say that "triangles with the same base and area have the same altitude", which means that the triangles would have the same height. But I don't see how this would lead to AB being // with DC? Help would be appreciated.

View attachment 32835

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Keyword: Basically
What I meant by that was that you can "see it" (that the lines have to be parallel because the two points are equal height above a given line). The OP phrased it as though they couldn't see why the lines were parallel, so I provided the intuition for it before providing a proof.

Another easy way to show the result is to construct an x-y coordinate system with the x-axis on AB and the y-axis perpendicular to this. Then since the points C and D lie at equal heights above AB (the x-axis), they both lie on the same horizontal line y = h, say (where h is the height they are above AB). So CD is a horizontal line with respect to the x-axis, as is the x-axis of course, so AB is parallel to CD.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
What I meant by that was that you can "see it" (that the lines have to be parallel because the two points are equal height above a given line). The OP phrased it as though they couldn't see why the lines were parallel, so I provided the intuition for it before providing a proof.
Yeah. I know. But for some reason I felt like that called for a tease

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)