Binomial Theorem Clarification! (1 Viewer)

wifiok

HSC
Hi, I'm currently learning BT in class. My math tutor said I have to prove the Double sigma notation before using in HSC. But my school teacher didn't mention anything about it and just taught us to use it just as it is. Does anyone know whether we are meant to prove it \ before using it?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Hi, I'm currently learning BT in class. My math tutor said I have to prove the Double sigma notation before using in HSC. But my school teacher didn't mention anything about it and just taught us to use it just as it is. Does anyone know whether we are meant to prove it \ before using it?
What do you mean by double sigma? As in a double sum? Usually these aren't encountered much in HSC.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Indeed. What are you talking about?? Besides BT used to be Bankers Trust, and not Binomial Theorem.

Last edited:

wifiok

HSC
I'm talking about the double sigma notation where you use it for questions such as find the x^4 coefficient of (x+11)^12 = (x+1)^4*(x+1)^8. And then equate the coefficients.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I'm talking about the double sigma notation where you use it for questions such as find the x^4 coefficient of (x+11)^12 = (x+1)^4*(x+1)^8. And then equate the coefficients.
So you basically meant for proving results like Vandermonde's convolution ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandermonde's_identity )? You probably should provide justification for your steps in the HSC if the question is asking for a proof of that kind of result.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)