Projectile motion help (1 Viewer)

tsoliman1

HSC
Hey guys

So I don't know how to do this and I need help.

A gun can fire shells with speed "u" at elevations between 30 and 60 degrees. Find the area commanded by the gun on a horizontal plane, assuming that the gun can be rotated about vertical axis so as to point in any desired direction.

Leave answer in terms of g.

The answer is pi(u^4)/4g^2

I need the working out please.

Thanks

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Hey guys

So I don't know how to do this and I need help.

A gun can fire shells with speed "u" at elevations between 30 and 60 degrees. Find the area commanded by the gun on a horizontal plane, assuming that the gun can be rotated about vertical axis so as to point in any desired direction.

Leave answer in terms of g.

The answer is pi(u^4)/4g^2

I need the working out please.

Thanks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_of_a_projectile .

tsoliman1

HSC
Sorry I don't understand that. We haven't learnt about annulus yet. Also I don't understand how it got minimum range to be 30 or 60 degrees.

Whoops I just realised what annulus is sorry. But still don't get the minimum range bit.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Sorry I don't understand that. We haven't learnt about annulus yet. Also I don't understand how it got minimum range to be 30 or 60 degrees.

An annulus is just a ring shape. See this image: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe.../Annulus_area.svg/2000px-Annulus_area.svg.png .

The reason the region swept out by the gun is an annulus is that at the minimum range, we get the inner circle of the annulus as we sweep the gun around at the minimum range. As we keep increasing the range and swing the gun around, we keep getting concentric circles (circles because we're sweeping the gun around at a given range), and we stop when we get to the furthest possible range, which'll correspond to the outer circle of the annulus.

The area of the annulus is basically just subtracting the area of the inner circle (disk) from the outer one.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)