Abbreviations In Circle Geometry (1 Viewer)

frog1944

HSC
Hi,

My math teacher says that we can't abbreviate anything in geometry (even 2 unit, except maybe S.S.S, etc. Congruent triangle tests) and circle geometry.

Is this correct? Is there no standardised method for abbreviating?

I have friends at another school who abbreviate theorems, and even words like angle by drawing an angle.

If there is abbreviations, what is safe to use in the HSC?

Thanks

kashkow

HSC
Hi,

My math teacher says that we can't abbreviate anything in geometry (even 2 unit, except maybe S.S.S, etc. Congruent triangle tests) and circle geometry.

Is this correct? Is there no standardised method for abbreviating?

I have friends at another school who abbreviate theorems, and even words like angle by drawing an angle.

If there is abbreviations, what is safe to use in the HSC?

Thanks
I'm not exactly sure on what is exactly "safe" to use in the HSC;

I've always used abbreviations and symbols such as the angle symbol for angle, '∆' for 'triangle', the perpendicular symbol, '//' for 'parallel' and '//ogram' for 'parallelogram' (though not sure if this last one is standard or it's just my school). Same thing goes with theorems such as 'a st. line', '< sum in ∆ABC' or 'alt. <'s in // lines' etc.

I don't think in the HSC exam they can mark you down if you abbreviate and use symbols since most people probably do it, as long as the abbreviations make sense. I'm pretty sure there are standardised abbreviations: especially for 'angle' and 'triangle' because they are used in questions in the HSC exams.

However, I would do whatever your teacher tells you. After all, they will be marking your exams at school so best to follow their preferences.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
I don't see a problem with abbreviating, but only if it's something that's well known and common - don't start writing "c.q." instead of cyclic quadrilateral or "aa" for alternate angles because no one knows what you're talking about it. If you see it in your book, you can probably use it.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
I reiterate what the others have said; and if you're unsure, it probs will only take like 2 seconds to write out the full thing (or a less abbreviated version)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)