another locus question (1 Viewer)

ek102

HSC
N/A
Given two points A(3,-2) and B(-1,7), find the equation of the locus of P(x,y) if the gradient of PA is twice the gradient of PB. Im unsure on how to solve this question.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Given two points A(3,-2) and B(-1,7), find the equation of the locus of P(x,y) if the gradient of PA is twice the gradient of PB. Im unsure on how to solve this question.
Find expressions involving x and y for the slopes (gradients) of PA and PB using the gradient formula. Then, equate the expression for the slope of PA to 2 times the expression for the slope of PB, and rearrange and simplify.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Did this in some hurry; may well have mistakes.

You should get something like:

and eventually:

a hyperbola with horizontal asymptote y =16 and vertical asymptote x = 7.

Last edited:

gwc

HSC
N/A
Did this in some hurry; may well have mistakes.

You should get something like:

and eventually:

a hyperbola with horizontal asymptote y =16 and vertical asymptote x = 7.
Hi, this is completely unrelated to the question, but I was wondering how you got that formatting where you have actual fractions not use (8x19)/(x-7). Does advanced formatting for these posts have this function, do you use a website or ....? I'm sorry if it's a silly question.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hi, this is completely unrelated to the question, but I was wondering how you got that formatting where you have actual fractions not use (8x19)/(x-7). Does advanced formatting for these posts have this function, do you use a website or ....? I'm sorry if it's a silly question.
Latex, there's a sticky post about it in the maths forum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)