What can we use in the exam? (1 Viewer)

frog1944

HSC
Hi,

In MX1 exams are we allowed to use the auxiliary method? Because it doesn't mention it in the syllabus?
Are we allowed to memories and use the equation for a chord PQ, in parametric form, because it also doesn't mention that in the syllabus?
I'm sure there is more of these, but I'm not sure what information I am allowed to use and remember in the exam and consequently the HSC.

Thanks

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Hi,

In MX1 exams are we allowed to use the auxiliary method? Because it doesn't mention it in the syllabus?
Are we allowed to memories and use the equation for a chord PQ, in parametric form, because it also doesn't mention that in the syllabus?
I'm sure there is more of these, but I'm not sure what information I am allowed to use and remember in the exam and consequently the HSC.

Thanks
Auxiliary angle method is something required to be known by 3U students, isn't it?

integral95

HSC
Hi,

Thanks
To answer your second question,(assuming this for the topic in parametrics) no you are almost always required to derive the equation of the Chord unless they give you the equation in the beginning, so there's no point memorising the formulas.

This applies for most other topics in 3U math, where they get you to derive equations rather than memorising, only topic I can think of right now that requires some memory is the division of a line in a given ratio and simple harmonic motion (sorry don't recall the actual name).

frog1944

HSC
Ok, thanks. Are you allowed to use abbreviations in circle geometry, or do you need to right the entirety of the theorem out?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Ok, thanks. Are you allowed to use abbreviations in circle geometry, or do you need to right the entirety of the theorem out?
Most likely write out the whole thing to be safe. Does your teacher take off marks for writing abbreviations? Even if they don't, rather use an extra 10 seconds to be safe than sorry.

frog1944

HSC
Yeah they do, ok will do. Are you allowed to use synthetic division for polynomials? Because I can't find in the syllabus anything about that, only long division.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)