Help with Parametrics Needed. (1 Viewer)

CURRYINAHURRY

HSC
So, I have 1 week till my first HSC 3U Maths Assessment and one of the topics assessed is Parametrics. I really suck at any topic that involves a lot of visualisation and thus, I am a bit scared. Do any of you guys have any tips with this topic other than practice questions again and again as that is what I am trying to do. Also, my teacher told me that I could just quote the formula in the exam but my tutor tells me that I have to derive the formula. Which one is correct?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
So, I have 1 week till my first HSC 3U Maths Assessment and one of the topics assessed is Parametrics. I really suck at any topic that involves a lot of visualisation and thus, I am a bit scared. Do any of you guys have any tips with this topic other than practice questions again and again as that is what I am trying to do. Also, my teacher told me that I could just quote the formula in the exam but my tutor tells me that I have to derive the formula. Which one is correct?
Your tutor is correct that you have to derive it. Like if it has 2 marks, show the equation of the chord of contact is .... and you just write the formula and say "equation of chord of contact" you won't get 2.

integral95

HSC
You have to always derive the formulas (i.e equations of the tangents/normals) unless they're explicitly given and you're told not to prove it. Never would you be allowed to just quote it in the HSC.

There's not that much visualisations, just the parabola and a few straight lines lol, and HSC usually provides you with a diagram.

As for tips, in the exam, make you sure actually read the question a few times and really understand what it's asking, and don't rush, best way to prevent trivial mistakes.

Olevelswerebetter

HSC
Try doing the Grove textbook chapter from exercise 11.2, I'm in the same situation as you actually and my teacher told me that. You could also do past paper questions one by one and consult wootube/Khan academy if you run into trouble
Speaking of wootube, you go to Cherrybrook Tech right? Doesn't Mr woo teach there?

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

CURRYINAHURRY

HSC
I do and he does teach there but he isn't my teacher. He teaches an extension 2 class and a general maths class.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Try doing the Grove textbook chapter from exercise 11.2, I'm in the same situation as you actually and my teacher told me that. You could also do past paper questions one by one and consult wootube/Khan academy if you run into trouble
Speaking of wootube, you go to Cherrybrook Tech right? Doesn't Mr woo teach there?

Wouldn't recommend maths in focus. There's a lot of wrong answers and also she writes that sec^-1 (x) = 1/cos^-1 (x) but it's not true.

Olevelswerebetter

HSC
I know mif gets a lot of hate but it's great if you have no idea where to begin on a topic. It's an indispensable tool for grasping the basics of the topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)