Greatest Term (1 Viewer)

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
When doing questions in binomial to find the greatest term, we first have to take a ratio of T(r+1)/T(r). But my question is that do we have to derive the ratio every time or can we just directly write T(r+1)/T(r)= (n-r+1)/r * b/a?

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
When doing questions in binomial to find the greatest term, we first have to take a ratio of T(r+1)/T(r). But my question is that do we have to derive the ratio every time or can we just directly write T(r+1)/T(r)= (n-r+1)/r * b/a?
I think it is safer to derive than to just cite the result formula.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
It's usually 3 marks so derive but check with formula

fluffchuck

HSC
Marks are given for the derivation, so it would be best to derive the ratio everytime

braintic

HSC
N/A
1 out of 3 at best if you use that formula.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
The formula only works for simple single expansions. If you were to find the greatest term of something more complicated like (3+x)n+(1+2x)n you can't exactly use the formula. However, the principle of finding the largest value of k such that T(k+1)>T(k), where T(k+1) is general term of the entire expansion, is still valid (it will just look very different to your standard case).

braintic

HSC
N/A
The formula only works for simple single expansions. If you were to find the greatest term of something more complicated like (3+x)n+(1+2x)n you can't exactly use the formula. However, the principle of finding the largest value of k such that T(k+1)>T(k), where T(k+1) is general term of the entire expansion, is still valid (it will just look very different to your standard case).
In fact there was a past Ext 2 question requiring that method which had nothing to do with the binomial theorem. I think it involved exponentials.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)