Perms and combs question (1 Viewer)

rking24

HSC
Hey guys came across a question which i couldn't figure out, would really appreciate if someone can help me out

how many different arrangements are possible if 3 letters are randomly selected from the word challenge and arranged into 'words'?

trecex1

HSC
Hey guys came across a question which i couldn't figure out, would really appreciate if someone can help me out

how many different arrangements are possible if 3 letters are randomly selected from the word challenge and arranged into 'words'?
Split it into two cases
1) A pair is selected e.g two l's
2) No pair is selected (3 single letters)

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
With these question just write out the word but in terms of the occurrences of the letters.

1c,1h,1a,2l,2e,1n,1g

PatternSelectArrangeTotal
x+y+z7c33!7c3x3!
2x+y2c1x6c13!/(2!1!)2c1x6c1x3!/(2!1!)

Summing the totals gives 246

Can you re-write the total of the first line using a different combinatoric notation? If so, why?

Note it would not be then valid to do a probability question, based on the number of outcomes listed above, since the outcomes arn't equally likely. For example: You would get 2 cases for the l's instead of 1 for the h etc.

You would need to regard the letters as distinguishable to produce equally likely outcomes, then you could evaluate the probability. To check here's a question. What's the probability that:

a) You select 3 vowels, one at a time
bi) You select 2 vowels and a consonant, simultaneously
bii) You select 2 vowels and a consonant one at a time
biii) You select 2 vowels and a consonant with repetition

Last edited:

rking24

HSC
I had the exact same thought but turns out to be wrong.. damn this thing confuses me

Thanks anyways:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)