Question about transitioning from 3U into 4U Maths? (1 Viewer)

Heresy

HSC

So I have some questions that have been on my mind for a little while concerning 4U Maths:

What should my average mark be in 2U and 3U Maths (In Year 11) for me to do well in 4U Maths?
When 3U and 4U both turn into 2U subjects, will they take up any normal class periods (Periods 1-6 etc.), or do they remain as before/after school (Regular Extension Subjects)?
Should I bother doing 4U maths instead of History Extension?
Is it worth doing 4U Maths if choosing to go into a Business Degree (such as Actuarial Studies)?

Hopefully that's not too much to answer :lol:, Thanks for stopping by!

tazhossain99

HSC
Yes. If you are somewhat adept at mathematics, you should definitely take 4u. It is a much more rewarding subject than ext. history

Heresy

HSC
If you go onto Macquarie or UNSW's website Actuarial Studies is under Business.

jpjoqiuhtpijw

HSC

When 3U and 4U both turn into 2U subjects, will they take up any normal class periods (Periods 1-6 etc.), or do they remain as before/after school (Regular Extension Subjects)?
Didn't take 3U or 4U, but at my school they remained as before/after school times (probably timetabling restrictions)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Actuarial Studies may come under the School or Faculty of Business but as si2136 first pointed out, the course content is mathematically very demanding - not what one would associate with the mathematically wimpy Business courses one usually takes.

Last edited:

integral95

HSC
To be more precise, there's a lot of statistics in Actuarial :D

But yeah if you're looking to take up that degree, then obviously 4U maths would be more useful to apply after High school.

Just aim for full marks in both 2U and 3U and you'll be set for 4U.

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC

So I have some questions that have been on my mind for a little while concerning 4U Maths:

What should my average mark be in 2U and 3U Maths (In Year 11) for me to do well in 4U Maths?
Is it worth doing 4U Maths if choosing to go into a Business Degree (such as Actuarial Studies)?

Hopefully that's not too much to answer :lol:, Thanks for stopping by!
1) Try to get at least 90% + in 2U and possibly 80% + in 3U in Year 11. However, this will really depend on the school you go to as some schools have more difficult exams than others. If you go to a school like JR or Sydney Grammar, then you could possibly lower the bar since I've heard their exams are pretty challenging compared to other schools.

2) Again, it really depends on the school. I know some schools who have 3U embedded in their normal class timetable periods whereas others (such as my school) had both 3U and 4U in the morning. If you're doing 3U in Year 11 before school, then chances are it will also remain before school if you do 4U in Year 12.

3) Give 4U a try! The scaling is more often than not incredibly generous for those that work hard in it. Even if you don't get an E4, it will still scale pretty high.

4) I think actuarial studies actually recommends you do 4U Maths in High School before doing it in uni. It's probably one of the most mathematically demanding courses in university and so a strong 4U foundation will definitely give you a head start then those who didn't do it. I'm not sure about this fact though since I'm not doing actuarial studies next year in uni.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)