Need help (1 Viewer)

happy10

HSC
Hi so I’ll be in year 11 next year and I’ve got the Cambridge extension 1 preliminary textbook. I find the foundation and development questions to be alright but from each exercise I’m only able to do like 1-2 of the extension questions because I find them quite hard. So I was wondering to do well in the exams how relevant are the extension questions. My school isn’t bad but it’s not like a selective school or anything like that. Do u think we’d have extension type questions in the school assessments. Also in the actual hsc paper are a lot of the questions as hard as the extension ones or is it just a few. Thank you

sida1049

HSC
Cambridge can get unnecessarily difficult. I personally wouldn't bother with the really difficult questions. Once you understand the topic you're doing, and feel confident enough in adapting the theory when needed, move on. The HSC exam won't have problems nearly as difficult as a lot of the extension problems in Cambridge. I personally used Fitzpatrick, which is considered much easier than Cambridge, and I still did well.

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Man I'm impressed by your aptitude already! I barely get through all the development questions, let alone the extension questions!
For my school, I got 90%+ for all year 11 exams (2u, 3u) without being capable of any if not all ext questions.
For yr12, my results have fallen to 80s but the entire year's has, and well... 4u...

Essentially I wouldn't stress over it, however I am strongly a fan of the Cambridge textbooks, so I would use them and get as much as you can out of them.

Best of luck :)

HoldingOn

HSC
Generally in Cambridge development targets 3u and extension is a 4u type question- that may be why you are finding some of the questions difficult.

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Also careful because the syllabus is changing a bit so some topics may not be useful

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)