Thread: Tips before starting Calculus?

Cadet
    HSC

Post Tips before starting Calculus?

I'm in year 10 going to year 11. I want to start learning Calculus, and I was wondering do you need to know anything before starting things like Differentiation and Integration? I'm pretty good with Algebra (Functions, Polynomials etc.) but are there things I should know before starting Calculus? And also could you guys tell me which order I should do them in?

HSC

Re: Tips before starting Calculus?

You should probably have a go at understanding limits. I can't remember the year 11/12 syllabi anymore, but I would assume you'd need to understand limits before attempting differential calculus. Integral calculus should be learnt after differential.

Edit: Oh yeah nevermind. Limits is usually taught under differential calculus anyway.

Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) III, USYD

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator_13 View Post
    I'm in year 10 going to year 11. I want to start learning Calculus, and I was wondering do you need to know anything before starting things like Differentiation and Integration? I'm pretty good with Algebra (Functions, Polynomials etc.) but are there things I should know before starting Calculus? And also could you guys tell me which order I should do them in?

In the case of 2unit calculus, you do not need to have any prior knowledge apart from year 10 since most of year 11 is a slight expansion on what you learn in year 10 (with the exception of calculus) so you dont need any prior knowledge of course you would want to learn differentiation before integration since differentiation is taught in year 11 whereas integration is taught in year 12. In the case of 3unit calculus you would need to know your trigonometric rules and also inverse functions (which are both learnt during year 12)
    Last edited by ichila101; 12 Jan 2018 at 5:45 PM.
    MX1/2U - ADV. ENGLISH - BIOLOGY - CHEMISTRY - BUSINESS STUDIES 2017
    No

HSC
    Uni Grad

Last edited by ichila101; 12 Jan 2018 at 5:46 PM.
    MX1/2U - ADV. ENGLISH - BIOLOGY - CHEMISTRY - BUSINESS STUDIES 2017
    No

HSC

You don't need to know anything before starting calculus because it is a topic that doesn't really need any prior knowledge, however, if you want to start learning it- because you don't really get into it until the end of year 11- it's not too hard to teach yourself. You should start with differentiation eg. first principles, second derivatives, chain/product/quotient rule, graphing before getting into integration as it is easier to understand it and how it relates to differentiation
    [FONT=Century Gothic][I]2017 HSC : 2U Maths (94)

2018 HSC : Eng Adv | 3U Maths | 4U Maths | Bio | Legal

HSC
    N/A

I think having a solid foundation of graphing, indices and algebra would be enough

Remember you need to know calculus (differentation and max and min) before you progress onto integration

Thread Information