Self Studying?? (1 Viewer)

Aviator_13

HSC
Hey guys, i currently just went into year 11 and i'm planning to self study 3 Unit Mathematics, Physics and maybe chemistry. How can i self study these subjects. I also want to know what textbooks i should use for 3 Unit maths and physics. I really don't want to go tutoring. Is tutoring needed to come top 3 in all these subjects???

A lot of questions i know haha......any tips would be appreciated :)

:read::read::read:

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
I also want to know what textbooks i should use for 3 Unit maths
My teacher sets us Cambridge, and occasionally Fitzpatrick (the old one, I think he said the new one was worse) and Coroneos.

I think Cambridge is pretty solid overall. Coroneos is very old and can be a bit confusing but the questions are still challenging. I don't think the old Fitzpatrick is as good as the other two but it's still worth looking at.

Also, past papers are really useful. Not only does it let you practice exam-difficulty questions but you also learn to apply your skills without any context.

Is tutoring needed to come top 3 in all these subjects???
It's not needed. It can definitely help but you can do perfectly fine without it.

Top 3 of what? The state? Your year? Your class?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hey guys, i currently just went into year 11 and i'm planning to self study 3 Unit Mathematics, Physics and maybe chemistry. How can i self study these subjects. I also want to know what textbooks i should use for 3 Unit maths and physics. I really don't want to go tutoring. Is tutoring needed to come top 3 in all these subjects???

A lot of questions i know haha......any tips would be appreciated :)

:read::read::read:
For physics wait for new syllabus textbooks to be released

jjuunnee

HSC
Videos are good eg. there's probably heaps of Eddie Woo videos for maths and there's other institutions and teachers that post their lessons on youtube

Danneo

HSC
I use Math in Focus for 2U and 3U if your self studying, move on to cambridge once you got your foundation

Roy G Biv

HSC
N/A
maths in focus and coroneos for self-studying. avoid cambridge and fitzpatrick etc - they're terrible for self-studying.

plenty of video content around to help with understanding content, if you don't understand from the above two textbooks. You can also post here on BoS :)

doggossigh

HSC
For physics and chemistry, I find Khan Academy videos to be great! Its a really good introduction to the topics or to just catchup/revise the topics, since it quickly explains you the concepts which you can then study in depth yourself. Watching the videos have been really helpful to me, especially for chem!

mikestro

HSC
I like Cambridge right now, back when I did 3u I used Fitzpatrick and liked it. (seems more suitable for you if you're ambitious)
The next question is why you don't want to do tutoring, is it for a sense of greater achievement when going at it alone? Just don't forget your teachers, friends and family when its all done.
Top 3 in NSW in maths ext 1 is meaningless because the tests aren't hard enough to distinguish even the top 15 in the state.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)