• 1 Post By Aviator_13
  • 1 Post By pikachu975
  • 1 Post By jjuunnee
  • 2 Post By Danneo

Thread: Self Studying??

Cadet
    HSC

Post Self Studying??

Hey guys, i currently just went into year 11 and i'm planning to self study 3 Unit Mathematics, Physics and maybe chemistry. How can i self study these subjects. I also want to know what textbooks i should use for 3 Unit maths and physics. I really don't want to go tutoring. Is tutoring needed to come top 3 in all these subjects???

A lot of questions i know haha......any tips would be appreciated

supR likes this.

HSC

Re: Self Studying??

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator_13 View Post
    I also want to know what textbooks i should use for 3 Unit maths
    My teacher sets us Cambridge, and occasionally Fitzpatrick (the old one, I think he said the new one was worse) and Coroneos.

I think Cambridge is pretty solid overall. Coroneos is very old and can be a bit confusing but the questions are still challenging. I don't think the old Fitzpatrick is as good as the other two but it's still worth looking at.

Also, past papers are really useful. Not only does it let you practice exam-difficulty questions but you also learn to apply your skills without any context.

Is tutoring needed to come top 3 in all these subjects???
    It's not needed. It can definitely help but you can do perfectly fine without it.

Top 3 of what? The state? Your year? Your class?

HSC

Hey guys, i currently just went into year 11 and i'm planning to self study 3 Unit Mathematics, Physics and maybe chemistry. How can i self study these subjects. I also want to know what textbooks i should use for 3 Unit maths and physics. I really don't want to go tutoring. Is tutoring needed to come top 3 in all these subjects???

A lot of questions i know haha......any tips would be appreciated

For physics wait for new syllabus textbooks to be released
    supR likes this.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

HSC

Videos are good eg. there's probably heaps of Eddie Woo videos for maths and there's other institutions and teachers that post their lessons on youtube
    supR likes this.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][I]2017 HSC : 2U Maths (94)

2018 HSC : Eng Adv | 3U Maths | 4U Maths | Bio | Legal

HSC

I use Math in Focus for 2U and 3U if your self studying, move on to cambridge once you got your foundation
    ichila101 and supR like this.

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

maths in focus and coroneos for self-studying. avoid cambridge and fitzpatrick etc - they're terrible for self-studying.

plenty of video content around to help with understanding content, if you don't understand from the above two textbooks. You can also post here on BoS

Cadet
    HSC

For physics and chemistry, I find Khan Academy videos to be great! Its a really good introduction to the topics or to just catchup/revise the topics, since it quickly explains you the concepts which you can then study in depth yourself. Watching the videos have been really helpful to me, especially for chem!
    3U Eng | Chem | Bio | Physics | Adv Math | Modern History

99+ Atar Goal

HSC

I like Cambridge right now, back when I did 3u I used Fitzpatrick and liked it. (seems more suitable for you if you're ambitious)
    The next question is why you don't want to do tutoring, is it for a sense of greater achievement when going at it alone? Just don't forget your teachers, friends and family when its all done.
    Top 3 in NSW in maths ext 1 is meaningless because the tests aren't hard enough to distinguish even the top 15 in the state.

Thread Information