Drop 3U or SoR 1? (1 Viewer)

Pandamonium99

HSC
Hi all,

I don't know whether to drop 3U maths or SoR 1U. My subjects are: (12units)

3U maths
EN adv.
SoR1
VA
Chem
Bio

I think I want to focus on my best 10 units leaving one for a backup, also for the extra time it will allow me.

I am averaging 70+% in 3U, and 80+% SoR

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
Drop SoR... unless you really enjoy it.

With scaling a 70% in 3U will be better than an 80% in SoR (the difference in scaled means is significant).

Also, 3U builds upon 2U and improves your problem solving skills. So you're getting more practice for 2U.

3U is also more relevant if you plan on going into STEMor any other career that involves maths.

Aviator_13

HSC
I think you should drop SOR I. Try put more effort in 3U, that will be much more rewarding in my opinion.

happyretro

HSC
3U Maths scales far better than SOR I when it comes to determining your ATAR. A 70% in 3U will give you a far better ATAR than a 70% in SOR I for example. Only drop 3U Maths if you're getting above 90% in SOR and failing 3U Maths.

Roy G Biv

HSC
N/A
You post in the 3u forum and expect anyone to tell you to drop SOR?

Anyway, you should drop whatever you're struggling with or you find less enjoyable. Only you can decide which you should drop, because only you know which you find more enjoyable - SoR or 3u.

Ignore the scaling. The whole point of scaling is to even out the subjects, in theory. But in reality, I think that studying = results, and it's easier to study something which you enjoy and find interesting. So, drop the one you find boring to study.

I also am very wary of the percentages people throw around. 70% in 3u doesn't mean much without an understanding of the type of exams you've had. What if you've had easy 3u exams and hard SoR exams? A better way to think about your relative performance would be to compare yourself to the bright students in your grade. How are your ranks in relation to them in each of the subjects?

tl;dr- drop what you enjoy less.

/2c

Last edited:

mikestro

HSC
I don't know why but it just seems obvious from the way you phrased the question that you should drop 3u.
Those marks are meaningless out of context as Roy points out (among many valid points).
You'll certainly get back alot of your time back if you were doing maths everyday like alot of the 3u students I know and perhaps your 2u marks will suffer a little as a result.
I don't want to seem to be taking your question lightly but you could also drop both!

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe also consider how previous HSC cohorts performed in externals, and use it to guage what you are likely to get in externals.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
To some the study of religion is very important. Else of what use is SOR to you when you get to uni unless you are going to pursue a related course. Of course if you are struggling with 3U Maths, that's another matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)