Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fan96

Thread: 3U Homework - Help!

  1. #1
    Cadet Heresy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    91
    Rep Power
    1

    3U Homework - Help!

    Hey guys, I need help with some Exam Revision - its really confusing...

    a) The point M(-3,8) divides the interval joining A(-4,-9) and B(5,9) externally in the ratio k:1. Find the value of k.

    b) Sydney Tower stands on a level ground, Three observers P,Q and R are observing Sydney tower from the ground. P is due north of Sydney Tower, R is due east of Uluru, and Q is on the line of sight from P to R and between them. The angles of elevation to the top of Sydney Tower from P, Q and R are 26 degrees, 28 degrees and 30 degrees, respectively. Find the bearing of Q from Sydney Tower.

    c) The angle between the lines y = mx and y = 1/2 x is 45 degrees. Find the exact value of m.

    I've tried, but nothing is working - If anyone could assist me in understanding these that would be terrific. Thank you for your time.

  2. #2
    617 pages fan96's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    413
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: 3U Homework - Help!

    a) Use the formula



    Calculate the point using your ratio and your two points (be careful, order matters).

    Then compare your point to the one given and you should be able to find .

    c) Using the formula



    We get:



    From here you can take cases, or you can use the definition and square both sides to solve for .

    Quote Originally Posted by Heresy View Post
    Q is on the line of sight from P to R and between them.
    Should that be read as "Q in the middle of P and R"? Or is it just saying the same thing twice?
    Last edited by fan96; 27 May 2018 at 7:19 PM.
    HSC 2018: English Adv. [80] • Maths Ext. 1 [98] • Maths Ext. 2 [95] • Chemistry [87] • Software Design [95]

    Goal: ≥92.00 for B Advanced Mathematics (Hons) / B Engineering (Hons) (Computer) at UNSW

  3. #3
    Cadet Heresy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    91
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: 3U Homework - Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by fan96 View Post
    a) Use the formula



    Calculate the point using your ratio and your two points (be careful, order matters).

    Then compare your point to the one given and you should be able to find .

    c) Using the formula



    We get:



    From here you can take cases, or you can use the definition and square both sides to solve for .



    Should that be read as "Q in the middle of P and R"? Or is it just saying the same thing twice?
    My interpretation is that it is saying in the middle

  4. #4
    617 pages fan96's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    413
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: 3U Homework - Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Heresy View Post
    My interpretation is that it is saying in the middle


    Given that ...

    Let the height of Sydney Tower be .

    (since the height of a tower won't change its bearing, we can use in our calculations but it will not appear in the final answer)

    1. Find in terms of .

    2. Noting that is a right-angled, find and hence .

    3. Then use the cosine rule to find .
    Heresy likes this.
    HSC 2018: English Adv. [80] • Maths Ext. 1 [98] • Maths Ext. 2 [95] • Chemistry [87] • Software Design [95]

    Goal: ≥92.00 for B Advanced Mathematics (Hons) / B Engineering (Hons) (Computer) at UNSW

  5. #5
    Cadet Heresy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    91
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: 3U Homework - Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by fan96 View Post


    Given that ...

    Let the height of Sydney Tower be .

    (since the height of a tower won't change its bearing, we can use in our calculations but it will not appear in the final answer)

    1. Find in terms of .

    2. Noting that is a right-angled, find and hence .

    3. Then use the cosine rule to find .
    Mate you're a legend thank you so much, I really appreciate it!!

  6. #6
    Cadet Heresy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    91
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: 3U Homework - Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by fan96 View Post


    Given that ...

    Let the height of Sydney Tower be .

    (since the height of a tower won't change its bearing, we can use in our calculations but it will not appear in the final answer)

    1. Find in terms of .

    2. Noting that is a right-angled, find and hence .

    3. Then use the cosine rule to find .
    I'm sorry to ask but can you help me with Part 2 of that solution process please? I'm utterly useless...

  7. #7
    617 pages fan96's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    413
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: 3U Homework - Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Heresy View Post
    I'm sorry to ask but can you help me with Part 2 of that solution process please? I'm utterly useless...
    Don't think negatively like that. Just keep practicing and you'll improve.

    If you found then use Pythagoras' theorem:



    and of course, .
    HSC 2018: English Adv. [80] • Maths Ext. 1 [98] • Maths Ext. 2 [95] • Chemistry [87] • Software Design [95]

    Goal: ≥92.00 for B Advanced Mathematics (Hons) / B Engineering (Hons) (Computer) at UNSW

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •