Thread: Jones and Couchman textbook

HSC
    N/A

Question Jones and Couchman textbook

The textbook our school uses is the Jones and Couchman. I've heard that the Jones and Couchman textbook, in terms of difficulty, is average. Would doing work from Jones and Couchman + Past papers get me a band 6 (assuming I work hard)? Or would I have to use a harder textbooks like Cambridge?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by MysteryMarkWarrior; 3 Jun 2018 at 12:25 PM.
    HSC 2019
    Extension 1 Mathemathics - Standard English - Engineering Sudies - Economics - Business Studies
    ATAR Aim: 92+
    Desired Course: Computer Science at UNSW

HSC

Re: Jones and Couchman textbook

I don't really think textbooks play a significant role in determining whether someone can achieve a Band 6 or not in a particular subject.

Provided that you work hard/smart and expose yourself to many past paper questions, a Band 6 should be achievable.

As for reference sake though, I actually used 'Maths in Focus' predominantly since that was what our school prescribed, although it does have a common reputation for being the 'easy' and 'simplified' textbook sometimes. I also used the Fitzpatrick book near the end of the year as well.

Cambridge is also a great book, but can sometimes be tricky near the end of an exercise, which is good practise I guess.

However, your best form of practise in my opinion would be to do past HSC or Trial questions. This website has a huge bank of past Trial papers from different schools:

https://thsconline.github.io/s/

Good luck!
    2017 HSC: Eng (Adv.) · 3U Math · 4U Math · Chem · Phys · Bio

Loquacious One
    HSC
    N/A

Re: Jones and Couchman textbook

Please note: in English usage: the verb is "practise" and the noun "practice; in American usage "practice" is used for both; the same for "advise" and "advice".

And because most of you are so exposed to American media, you may not be aware of this, and presumably many of you just don't even care.
    Last edited by Drongoski; 4 Jun 2018 at 7:49 PM.
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

Thread Information