Some more Parametric Problems... (1 Viewer)

Heresy

HSC
I'm having some trouble with some parametric questions:

1. Find the point of intersection of the tangents to the curve x^2 = 12y at (-6,3) and (2, 1/3)
2. The chord of contact of two tangents drawn from an external point P to the parabola x^2 =8y has equation x + 2y -3 = 0. Find the coordinates of P.
3. Given the equation of the normal x+py = 2ap +ap^3, find the points where the tangent intersects the coordinate axes.

4i. The tangent to x^2 =4y at the point (2t, t^2) is y= tx -t^2. If the tangent passes through the point (2,-3), find values of t.
4ii.Hence state the equations of the tangents to x^2 = 4y passing through (2,-3)

I'm sorry if this a lot, but I really have no clue on how to do these - I don't even know how I'm in Extension 1 :spin::spin::spin:

HeroWise

HSC
The questions are easy, ur thinking htey are hard. Just focus on the basics. Build up from the basics and you can deal with the questions. Yea smtimes the wording stuffs u up but thats part of learning, when one make mistakes; to realise and fix them.

Last edited:

Heresy

HSC
The questions are easy, ur thinking htey are hard. Just focus on the basics. Build up from the basics and you can deal with the questions. Yea smtimes the wording stuffs u up but thats part of learning, when one make mistakes; to realise and fix them.

Thanks! Yeah its usually the wording of the questions that messes me up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)