Perms and Combs (1 Viewer)

HeroWise

HSC
How many ways can you arrange COMBINATION so that the vowels are in alphabetical order and separated from each other by at least 1 consonant

6! ways to arrange the consonants

Repetitions:

2! of N
2! of I
2! of O

and thre are 3 different cases where the vowels are separated by only one

Roy G Biv

HSC
N/A
perms combs hard question by herowise updated.png
Explanation:
6 consonants - 6! / 2!
Self explanatory

Vowels have to be separated by at least 1 consonant. (BTW, seems as if you're mistaking "separated by 1 vowel" with "separated by AT LEAST 1 vowel". at least means separation by 2 [or more] is fine too. So it's possible to have: VCVCCVCVCCV)

Method I'm going to use:
I'm going to fit in the vowels "in between the consonants". I've arranged the consonants above, but I've left a gap between each consonant, as well as 1 gap before and 1 gap after. After attaining 6!/2!, I now have to fit in 5 vowels into 7 spaces that have been created.

However, there is an ugly restriction: the vowels also have to be in alphabetical order.

Honestly, I couldn't figure out a short cut way, I just brute forced it.
Umbrella case 1: C C a C blank C blank C blank C blank <-- have to fit in 2o's and 2 i's into the 4 blanks. only 1 way to do this, since i's have to be before o's, and they're interchangeable.

Umbrella case 2: C a C blank C

ah cbf, just check my working out. If you don't understand, let me know and I'll elaborate more, but it should be self-explanatory. I just brute-forced it really.

I'm getting:
6!/2! x (1 + 5 + 15)
= 6!/2! x (21)

Probably made a silly mistake somewhere heh, but hope you see how I did it.

PS: how can I insert an image such that it appears as an image rather than a link?

edit million'th because not satisfied with ugly, brute-force method:
Alternative solution-
6!/2! x (7P5/2!2! / [5!/2!2!]) = 7560

6!/2! for consonants = 360
7P5/2!2! = ways to arrange vowels in between the consonants
then divide further by the number of ways to arrange the vowels amongst themselves, as only 1 of those will have them all in alphabetical order.

now THAT is fkn neat. IF it's correct. and I'm pretty sure it is. i think. i hope.

Last edited:

HeroWise

HSC
Last edited:

Roy G Biv

HSC
N/A
Ah, at least I know I got the question right :)

I'm 99.93% sure you won't face a question of this level in a 3u exam. I base that on the fact that, after searching ~1515 OCR'd 3u trials, I've come across only 1 other question similar to this- james ruse 3u 2003 trial, q7.

tbh, i wouldn't use that thread to prepare for hsc perms/combs. just use past paper questions. not international mathematical olympiad questions :| and god knows where else those questions are sourced from.

HeroWise

HSC
AHAHAH
anyway its a good way to grasp perms and combs, the trial questions, majority of them just repeat themselves.

HeroWise

HSC
Holy crap.... its litereally the same question LOL

Roy G Biv

HSC
N/A
lol yeah, basically the same thing.

if you want a good revision, check out the old coroneos (and I mean like, the REALLY old coroneos one, the one for the previous syllabus) revision set. someone has scanned the book, google up "coroneos filetype:pdf" and it'll be a few entries down.

or check 4u textbooks (eg terry lee 4u) or 4u past papers.

I daresay it'll be more relevant and useful than stuff which is not in the syllabus, such as some of the questions in that thread. just my humble opinion anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)