MX1 - 2020 Syllabus - changes + additions (1 Viewer)

Opengangs

HSC
Hey guys!

As most of you guys know, the new Mathematics, Extension 1, and Extension 2 syllabus will replace the current syllabus. So what changes does this new syllabus entail for 3U?

Here's an overview of what's being added and changed:

+ pigeonhole principle is added on top of the current permutations and combinations topic.
+ binomial distribution is added as a follow on topic to the binomial theorem
+ slope fields are added on top of the current differential calculus topic.
+ the topic on vectors is added to the 3U course as a separate topic.

- circle geometry is removed from the 3U course.
- simple harmonic motion is removed from the 3U course.

That's all I have off the top of my head; what are your thoughts on the new syllabus? Do you like it? Do you dislike it?

Heresy

HSC
Hey guys!

As most of you guys know, the new Mathematics, Extension 1, and Extension 2 syllabus will replace the current syllabus. So what changes does this new syllabus entail for 3U?

Here's an overview of what's being added and changed:

+ pigeonhole principle is added on top of the current permutations and combinations topic.
+ binomial distribution is added as a follow on topic to the binomial theorem
+ slope fields are added on top of the current differential calculus topic.
+ the topic on vectors is added to the 3U course as a separate topic.

- circle geometry is removed from the 3U course.
- simple harmonic motion is removed from the 3U course.

That's all I have off the top of my head; what are your thoughts on the new syllabus? Do you like it? Do you dislike it?
I can honestly say that I have no clue as to why NESA had to change the syllabi for all of the maths topics - it should just stay as it is I reckon.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
I can honestly say that I have no clue as to why NESA had to change the syllabi for all of the maths topics - it should just stay as it is I reckon.
The syllabus was updated to reflect the relevance of the topicsa today. E.g. The addition of statistics is a very useful skill, as is the ability to manipulate vectors. I welcome some of the changes, while sad to see others. E.g. Projectile motion and SHM is all in MX2 now, while topics like circular motion got removed from mechanics in MX2, so the mechanics topics been watered down quite a bit. The reception to the new syllabi seems mixed, with a lot of pros and equally as many cons.

Overall, it's a necessary change as the old syllabus was very outdated and needed to be revamped. The coming year is just a pilot program. I'm sure they'll (hopefully) fine-tune it over the coming years.

HeroWise

HSC
Where did u get this pigeon hole principle from?

Heresy

HSC
The syllabus was updated to reflect the relevance of the topicsa today. E.g. The addition of statistics is a very useful skill, as is the ability to manipulate vectors. I welcome some of the changes, while sad to see others. E.g. Projectile motion and SHM is all in MX2 now, while topics like circular motion got removed from mechanics in MX2, so the mechanics topics been watered down quite a bit. The reception to the new syllabi seems mixed, with a lot of pros and equally as many cons.

Overall, it's a necessary change as the old syllabus was very outdated and needed to be revamped. The coming year is just a pilot program. I'm sure they'll (hopefully) fine-tune it over the coming years.
Statistics is a very useful skill - I agree, however I would argue that you shouldn't have to do 3 Unit Maths to get to something practical (Eg. I doubt someone begging to do practical maths will just go ahead and pick Extension for that) - unless 2 Unit has an easier watered down version of 3 Unit statistics - then I'm all for it.

The 4 Unit Changes I hate though - Its gotten easier - Its a 4 Unit Course for god's sake...

HeroWise

HSC
Its not made easier, rather certain sections were just removed. Only circular motion was removed. This kinda makes sense since SHM and proj motion would be heavily tested here. You have other topics, Namely The nature of proofs which seems interesting since its not only dealing with Inductive proof. Vectors are an interesting addition too

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
The new syllabus leans more heavily in the "applied" maths topics, often at the expense of more "pure" maths topics. So naturally, all the pure maths supporters would not be happy with this.

Whilst it's not perfect in its design, I think the topic selection is now such that it better equips students for uni courses where maths is needed (e.g. science, commerce, engineering).

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Statistics is a very useful skill - I agree, however I would argue that you shouldn't have to do 3 Unit Maths to get to something practical (Eg. I doubt someone begging to do practical maths will just go ahead and pick Extension for that) - unless 2 Unit has an easier watered down version of 3 Unit statistics - then I'm all for it.
The majority of the statistics topics actually sit in the 2u course. The statistics in 3u is largely just applying the 2u concepts to the binomial distribution (which has a nice link to binomial theorem).

blyatman

HSC
N/A

The 4 Unit Changes I hate though - Its gotten easier - Its a 4 Unit Course for god's sake...
Stats will also be in 2u if I'm not mistaken. The 3u stats topic will just be a bit harder version.

I don't think 4u will necessarily be any easier than it currently is (though personally I think mechanics will be easier, but I could be wrong). There has just been a change in topics. They got rid of conics which is a big plus (since it probably takes the cake as the most useless 4u topic), and they moved 4u graphs into 3u, which makes sense since it was by far the easiest topic and it can be done by with 3u knowledge.

The current 2,3,4u courses are all heavily calculus-based, and the only new concept you actually learn in 4u is complex numbers - the rest of the course is more or less the same old boring calculus-based content. As a result, the current 4u course is too easy imo. Would've been fun to see them throw in new concepts like intro to linear algebra/matrices, and maybe even an intro to basic 1st and 2nd-order linear ODE's, which would make for a far more interesting and diverse course (just my opinion, I know many would disagree).

Last edited:

Heresy

HSC
The majority of the statistics topics actually sit in the 2u course. The statistics in 3u is largely just applying the 2u concepts to the binomial distribution (which has a nice link to binomial theorem).
Okay then - that's good.

sida1049

HSC
Mmmm I like these changes. Even for pure maths, the introduction of the pigeonhole principle is a huge step up.

I can't say I like the addition of vector fields, but it'll probably be an "oh by the way" part of calculus.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
With reference to MX2, the new syllabus has been dumbed down somewhat with the introduction of some new topics. In the IB Maths HL (i.e. International Baccalaureate Maths Higher Level) syllabus, vectors are covered in greater depth. This includes: scalar product, vector product, vector eqn of a line (2-D & 3-D), vector eqn of a plane, intersection of a line with a plane, of 2 planes, of 3 planes; angle between a line and a plane, between 2 planes; shortest distance between a point to a line(2-D & 3-D), and between 2 skew lines.

In the HL syllabus, students have to choose an Option. Most do the Calculus Option which covers the concept of limits, concepts of continuity and differentiability, series, convergence of sequences and of series, power series, (Taylor & Maclaurin Series), radius of convergence, differential equations, slope field etc

Last edited:

vinlatte

HSC

I would agree with the addition of statistics with binomial distribution. Although I haven't started the topic yet, I'm very interested in learning it especially for actuarial studies.

vinlatte

HSC
Hey guys does doing 3u help with the 2u course in the new syllabus??
It kinda did for me, I was able to understand topics thoroughly. However, when the topics didn't match up in adv and ext 1, it can be confusing. In ext 1, my class was studying trig identities but we didn't learn much in adv at that time; so my ext 1 teacher gave us a mini lesson on trig graphs and then we relearnt it in adv. It is more beneficial to learn it in adv first then ext 1, but I had different teachers for both classes which may have made it a bit complicated.

Overall, it does help but you can still do 2u well without 3u.

rohankk_

HSC
They've also taken out the binomial proofs/identities topic (one of the best topics imo)
also have removed the a=d/dx(1/2v^2) and the a=vdv/dx bits from motion (which was also a nice bit)

ikindawannasleep

HSC
It kinda did for me, I was able to understand topics thoroughly. However, when the topics didn't match up in adv and ext 1, it can be confusing. In ext 1, my class was studying trig identities but we didn't learn much in adv at that time; so my ext 1 teacher gave us a mini lesson on trig graphs and then we relearnt it in adv. It is more beneficial to learn it in adv first then ext 1, but I had different teachers for both classes which may have made it a bit complicated.

Overall, it does help but you can still do 2u well without 3u.
Thanks so much :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)