How much time should I put into studying for 3u? (1 Viewer)

ecksdee

HSC
What is your recommended time to study for 3u and what are some of your study tips for maths?
I hear people say do past papers but I feel like it hasn't helped me much. Maybe i'm just not doing enough?
I usually put in around 1-2 hrs to study 3u and 2u altogether and I only do that 3-4 times a week. I don't feel like it's enough so whats your recommended hours per day? I am struggling with understanding 3u topics and I don't think I am capable to solving band 6 questions either.
My teacher said that you'll be fine if your marks sit above a high 60 mark (my marks sit in between 65-75 )but I want to achieve higher.

Year 12 only started last term and I am already struggling to stay alive HELP ME!!

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
What is your recommended time to study for 3u
As much time as necessary to learn the content. There is no one figure that will work for everyone.

For example, the only revision I ever did for 3 unit was in the weeks before an exam block and it didn't have a negative effect on my marks.

what are some of your study tips for maths?
Past papers are usually supposed to refine your skill and understanding. If they're not working for you then you likely need to properly develop these things first.

As a start, perhaps try slowly going through a textbook's worked solutions and ask yourself - what are they doing in the solutions, why are they doing that, and why does it work?

What's an example of a topic you don't understand? What specifically do you not understand about it? Feel free to post specific questions here, because that's what this forum is for.

ecksdee

HSC
I do not understand the topic of parametrics.
I will attach an image from my past paper as an example. maths.jpg
Take question (i) as an example. I have no idea where to even start the queston. The main problem I have in maths is finding relationships between variables. I dont even know what pq is and how to even derive pq=-4.

Also I really appreciated when you said that past papers refine your skill and understanding as it gave me a change of perspective. All my teachers ever said was to do tonnes of past papers and you'll be fine. :<

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
and are parameters. If you don't have a good understanding of what parameters are then you should definitely take some time to go over the textbook again.

Start with what you know and what is given to you. If you can't think of anything, try writing down an equation that is true of the diagram or what is given to you and try to manipulate it somehow.

The condition obviously does not apply to all points on the parabola.

Therefore, the points in that diagram must have some sort of unique property that produces this condition.

The points themselves are completely arbitrary and arbitrarily placed, except for one thing - is a rectangle. Therefore, this must be what produces the property we are looking for.

The question structure suggests that we should deal with later, so looking at the rest of the rectangle, there is only one property we can extract:

For this to be true, the intervals and must be perpendicular.

i.e.

Last edited:

ecksdee

HSC
Thank you so much for your help!
Is it okay for me to send you private messages with things I'm struggling with or when I need advices for maths?

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you so much for your help!
Is it okay for me to send you private messages with things I'm struggling with or when I need advices for maths?
Sure, feel free to PM me.

(the same applies to anyone else reading this who wants help)

HeroWise

HSC
Ull see the pq=-4 in a lot of places. Even without reading the question people can know that it's the right angle subtend e d at origin. It's just practice and a yearning to succeed in maths

Jolteon

HSC
So as someone who just managed to pass 3u and obtain an e3, I spent a decent amount of time for 3u BUT it wasn't just repetitive practice with all topics.
With 3u, you usually know what topics you're weak at and you do lots of exam style questions and even just simple ones from the textbook to get your foundation right. That was a lot more useful than just doing past papers since your issue could be a specific topic instead.

That aside, I picked up my game right before trials when I asked top maths students to help me in the library after class.
Peer teaching is more helpful than you expect because they can explain things to you 1 on 1, almost like a free private tutor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)