Excel (1 Viewer)

NSBHSchoolie

I was wondering if any of the maths excel texts are worth getting? Its also so confusing the sheer number they have. :confused:

I mean the textbook they gave me at school must be about 40 years old, is covering in scribbled crap and I even had to write my own contents page. It just makes me vomit looking at it. :eek: So I'd definetly prefer working out of a different text.

kini mini

HSC
The syllabus has changed, so I would make sure that you have all the necessary material in the book and also id the irrelevant parts. I used the Cambridge 3U book, the one written by Pender et al - great for questions, the explanations are alright as well though they could be clearer at times.

professor

cambridge probably has the best questions out in the market atm, diffculty varies from easy to hard....those hard can be a killer...as for explantation...mm...dunno

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Originally posted by NSBHSchoolie
I was wondering if any of the maths excel texts are worth getting? Its also so confusing the sheer number they have. :confused:

I mean the textbook they gave me at school must be about 40 years old, is covering in scribbled crap and I even had to write my own contents page. It just makes me vomit looking at it. :eek: So I'd definetly prefer working out of a different text.
i think excel for maths isn't worth buying!!!
fitzpatrick is a gud one!!

professor

fitz is good, but be careful, old version one have a lot of mistakes in the answers section....explantation part are good though

js-angel

for 3u maths, cambridge is the best if you really want to test yourself .. the development and extension questions are dang hard..! um... fitzpatrick isn't too bad either.. i'm got above 90% in last assesss at school (NSGH) and i can't even do all of the questions in cambridge and fitzpatrick so yeah i suggest that they're the best quesitons to do

Rahul

Dead Member
have the fitzpatrick one for explanations and use the cambridge one for its questions....their explanation is bad!

excel one is good if u use it b4 exams, as it has worked solutions which helps in showing u how to set q's out.

once u do the stuff at school, it is a good idea to get more books and practice the topics u have dun in school

i just had to say. i am so against excel books.
in fact u shouldn't be looking at one particular textbook.

use a range. its costly but a way to do it is get it off some of ur friends. heaheah
thats wat i do.
library is a beautiful source.

=D
just know the many processes that are needed to ans diff questions. :D

Huy

HSC
N/A
I've got quite a number of maths textbooks,
But maths doesn't really interest me :)

For school, we *must* use Coroneos (2U red, 3U orange)
But at home, I recommend using Dr Max Shur's 'Understanding' series to learn theory, the layout is great!

Blue pages are indicative of theory,
Red pages are exercises.

I also own the Excel Fast-Track texts (2/3U),
They're pretty boring in my opinion, but they have worked solutions so you could always practice with them if you have them.

Personally, for drink and consolidation, I would recommend using Coroneos. It's boring, I agree, but it's very good :)

(I think it was printed in the 60s?)

In recapitulation,
Theory: Understanding series (Or Cambridge if you have access to it), or any other text that has a simple to follow layout that works for you.
Drill: Fitzpatrick (Yellow 2U, Green 3U) or the Coroneos series :)

But at home, I recommend using Dr Max Shur's 'Understanding' series to learn theory, the layout is great!

Blue pages are indicative of theory,
Red pages are exercises.
which textbook is that? i've never head of it before. and where did u get it?

Huy

HSC
N/A
It's pretty common I would assume.

I got it from Duckworths, but you could purchase them anywhere I'd assume.

There's a brown textbook, Yr 11 2/3U, and a pink textbook (I know ... I have to carry it around in a single-sex school), which is Yr 12 2/3U also.

Edit
www.bookworm.com.au/cgi-bin/bookmall/bookworm/returndetail.tam?&item.ctx=AML00010

That's the year 12 one,
The year 11 (brown/tan coloured) one covers prelim 2/3U
so you'll be needing that one for topics such as circle geo, parametrics, trig functions (i think), and some others.

www.dymocks.com.au/ContentDynamic/Full_Details.asp?ISBN=1875462112

www.dymocks.com.au/ContentDynamic/Full_Details.asp?ISBN=1875462139

You could purchase it from Dymocks stores too :)

Last edited:

PG5

HSC
Originally posted by livingdeadgirl

which textbook is that? i've never head of it before. and where did u get it?
i got mine from Paddy's Market last year... coz they were advertising themselves there b4..... n they were selling their books

hehe... i got a deal... something like $25 for the pink accelerated book, and the red formula book

don't know if they're still there though

astron

HSC
N/A
Honestly, I thought that the 50 hints books were lifesavers.

They are the BEST way I found to study for exams, and I got a fairly good mark for my 2 unit and 3 unit (I'm not trying to boast) which was really aided by these books.

They really do help. They should be your first choice.
The first few hints in the 2 unit 50 hints book are a bit redundant (eg. how to use a calculator), but you should find the next 40 really helpful.
The second best ones are the Fast Track ones. Basically stick to the books by Jeff Geha. His books use the best layout and are the easiest to follow.
<hr>
BUT. BUT. BUT
The excel books are NOT a text book. They are meant to be study guides. They help you out after you have learnt the course from your school text book. If your text book looks like its been typed with a typewriter, its the coroneus book. It really is a good book in terms of exercises. Try protesting to your books department for a new one. Or ask your parents to write a letter of complaint. That should help.

Last edited:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
my coroneus book is so old that i find kids who used it were using it even before i was born!!!! i mean the cover itself is a piece of cardboard, and every time i open it i sneeze due to the crappy quality paper:( . so i just get the book photocopied so i can use it.

besides that i use the cambridge book and excel book by patel and the understanding maths book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)