Studying for Maths (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
1. Pay attention in class. As it is being explained try to understand it. If you don't understand it ask questions, that's what your teacher is there for.

2. Read through the material again when you get home, then do questions from the textbook. If you can't do a question bring it in to class the next day, and get the teacher to explain it to you, or post it on BOS. You only need one textbook, because these questions are just to help you understand the material, not to provide practice.

3. The most important step: do past papers. I cannot stress this enough. Do every past paper you can get your hands on. There are so many people who are extremely capable mathematicians who fall down on exam technique, and/or silly errors. Myself I did 60ish past papers for each 3u and 4u, and boosted my ranking from 15th to 2nd in a class of 17.

While most of this should be stating the obvious, hopefully it will avoid future threads asking how to study.

gavhead88

dssds
HSC
Maths Help

Hi,
Thanks for the great help with the Extension Study. I sometimes try to stay away frpm past assessment tasks, I dont know why but it confuses me and frustrates me when I see it all. I am coming first in Extension, a class of 16. When I study, I write out the formulae about 20 times and do all the exercises again, and that seems to do me. We are doing logs now, which confuses the hell out of me! How did everyone else find logs?

fatmuscle

HSC
May I also add, when you are doing the exam papers, try to do them under exam conditions.
It helps you get into the mood.
You can also adjust your timing. - How fast you need to go for the first 6 Q's etc...

april____

HSC
Study!

It helps to have more than one text book so you can get an idea on a variety of questions when you are just practising. Some textbooks only do certain types, but do as many past papers as u can!! I've found even to do the specific questions you are studying in class at the time makes it really helpful so that you will be ready for the topic test!

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
I do both step 1 and 2. But step 3 i'll start maybe the week before maths exams =/ dont have enough past paper books at home yet!

There's an exception with the maths in focus book, where you HAVE to use additional material cause its the crappiest basic book that ever came out of grove

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
^ Sorry I forgot to add (but is already implicitly covered in withoutaface's post); consistency is very important. I highlight questions I dont understand in bright green =)

craziigal

HSC
Uh Oh!! Where Could I Get Past Papers??
Apart From The Board Of Studies Website?
Where Wher Ewhere!! Uh Oh..

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
Thanks so much for this...i need to start that, i already listen as much as i can and ask so many questions my teacher probably doesnt care anymore..im coming in the bottom few atm so thanks heaps..hopefully it will help :)

jarrypan

Mr.
HSC
thanks for giving such good ideas

but I thinik these are easy to say, but hard to do.
everyone knows that they can get good results in HSC if they turn up.
how about the lazy people like me?
I have no ways to doing study.
so upset, I feel bored while studying.

sweet_swat

HSC
hey thanks for the tips....i was jus wanderin if we can get past papers with solutions on this website sum where?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
sweet_swat said:
i was jus wanderin if we can get past papers with solutions on this website sum where?
You can find some in the resources section here. Should get you started. :)

Mikearun

HSC
Those tips are pretty helpful but can anyone tell me the best way to sum up the chapter and stuffs ...? It is really annoying me when I am in the mood of study and dont know where to even begins

Riviet

HSC
N/A
You could try summarising all the formulae and important info as you encounter them in the course, so when it comes to revision, you can look over them. Don't forget to do questions and past papers for practice.

*emi*

HSC
thanks HEAPS for the tips - i really need to start doing practise papers. I always get soo annoyed doing them because i cant HAHA i feel a lot more comfortable writing notes for maths - anyone else write notes for maths?? I'm a big note writer lol so i try to write them for everything, but it does help to summarise what you learnt each week into a book with clear headings so you can study formulas/methods.
Does anyone else stick up formula around their bedroom hehe??

-em xx

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
I wrote notes in a book last year for 2 unit maths, haven't as yet started one for extension 1 maths, but will probably write one up during these holidays. I don't stick up notes of formulae on my bedroom walls yet, but things could change.

JBakaka

HSC
yea you can buy these books with past HSC papers (not sure about others like catholic/independent) and they have answers in them so you can check

and a teacher advised that you should stick formulas on the back of your toilet door so you can study while... yea i suppose you get the idea

jeeyeoni1987

HSC
tutors, teachers, friends from different schools, and even ex hsc students all have past papers.. ask them for it~^^ or just find them on the bos~..
i know some people who actually collect past papers.. i know my tutor did.,.. she had like a never ending stack of it.. so just ask around~^^
there are bound to be lots of people who have past papers.. i'm still looking for some now~^^

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
An effective method is:

1. Read all material + do some questions (easy ones) if possible before your teacher commences teaching that section.

2. When you get home, re-read formulas + understand the use of the formula.

3. Do lots of practice questions from either Cambridge or Advanced Learning series maths book

4. Complete past exam papers.

Lol I think its the golden rule for any subject, but maths is easier to gain marks =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)