Jardi Tancat- Nacho Duato (1 Viewer)

Dramaqueen06

HSC
:)I have an essay on the piece Jardi Tancat.
It's an essay of 1000 words.
Question one: Describe the background and training of the choreographer Nacho duato. Discuss how his background and personal experiences influenced his choreography and the staging of "Jardi Tancat

OR
Explain how the elements of dance (movement, space, time) are used by Duato to convey the intent of the dance work "Jardi Tancat"

I'm thinking of doing the second question for my essay and i would appreciate any notes on Jardi Tancat itself/ or the elements of dance used in the piece to convey meaning.

Please help...?

Thanks xx

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
From the little I have studied Jardi Tancat, the first essay question would be very easy to find alot of solid content. The first 40minutes of the DVD with his work would be a good starting point. There is alot of information available of his background and how it influenced his piece

I havent studied the work enough yet to help with the second question but goodluck

lishajohannah

HSC
For his background:
look at Mats Ek, whom Duato was greatly inspired by because of his use of theatrical elements. Also look at earlier work (if you can find it) from the nederlands dans theatre - in a documentary Duato tells Kylian that he did not feel as though he belonged in the company because of existing choreographers like kylian whose work "had so much to do with expressing emotion through movement". You could also mention Duato's desire to produce works that have a "balance between what happens onstage and what happens outside the theatre" - i believe this quote is on hsconline.
For the specific work jardi tancat you can see a great influence from his spanish identity - duato states that his man inspiration was a place called rubielos.
Also, mention the use of traditional spanish music.
the closed setting of the peice - jardi tancat literally means closed garden, stage space is physically restricted as well as active space.
differentiation of work - i used example of the harvesting motif, the movement is performed on different levels, dynamics etc. also an example of contrast in mvt.
thhe isolation of dancers - can compare to kylians work.
also kylians use of isolation then reabsorbtion - shown in isolation of genders, dependancy of individual dancers on small groups of dancers.
unity - community sense .

sorry, just some quick notes i remember from last year. there are a few documentaries about Duato, look on the internet and at your local big library.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)