Composition ahh!!! (1 Viewer)

saxyT

HSC
okay i am sooo lost...
we have a composition due and i have no inspiration or any ideas, i have music, and i have a theme ( a news article) which is part of the assesment, but actually putting that into movement....HELP!!!!!

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
well based on your stimulus think of ideas relating - what kind of article is it? think of descriptive pictures- or images that come to mind when you read it and then interperate that into a movement- or act it out- that can often help

Mishelly

Yeah i think there needs to be more help for dancers doing the HSC! i mean look at all the resources and information for all the other subjects and then where is it for dance? I have an appreciation assessment due and there is hardly any information for it! Information please!

chooky_girl26

Lyshiez
HSC
Uni Grad
Dance is one of the hardest subjects and we get marked down heaps for it.... look at it in year 11 we have a performance, composition, therory leaning of all bones and muscles and everything... year 12 we have to have everything perfect... with appreciation the videos of rooster and ochres... there are no notes on them... even our teacher has to use the little notes on nsw charsles thing website to help us... it's pretty unfair... we could at least get a resource page where what ever little information people know or find... it might help.... My core comp is looking good though... i've taught it in 8 hours over four days and my dancer keeps improving so well.... my stimulas is the four elements. earth, fire, air and water. It was hard... but at least it means something....all i can say is find a stimulas close to your heart.... and use your imagination.... don't use a puppet or a love idea it is too common and it all turns out the same... be creative and make something special... make an idea that stands out... there are books also avalible for core composition ideas.... but i'm not sure what it is called or anything.... do something close to your heart.... something that you can interpret and add meaning too...
good luck
xoxox

sweetXinsanity

Drama Queen On The Run...
HSC
saxyT said:
okay i am sooo lost...
we have a composition due and i have no inspiration or any ideas, i have music, and i have a theme ( a news article) which is part of the assesment, but actually putting that into movement....HELP!!!!!
Just go with the flow.
I've been dancing for 13 years now and the secret to impro's or comp's is just to visualize what you want out of your piece and try a few things to the music of your choice..
also another way of fine-tuning your impro and creative skills is t listen to the radio or a good cd with a good dance beat and work on little impro's for each song that comes on..
Try not to chose a song that you know back to front though cos that kinda defeats the purpose lol!

Good Luck!! =)
HEY HOW COME I DONT HAVE DANCE AS AN ELECTIVE AT MY SCHOOL? STOOPID SCHOOL THINGY!!
-Adina

beksta

HSC
N/A
Whoever keeps saying that you get marked down for it is wrong. Dance is an academic subject but it is also 1 of the most rewarding. It is scaled like all other subjects and does really on the other candidates that particular year.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
well for My HSC i did 'Dance' and my UAI was severley pulled down (due to the fact mainly i didn't score as high as i thought i might have - even though it wasnt that bad a mark ) depending on what subjects you do- (stupid me chose all creative arts subjects and then maths english and SDD, rather dumb selection meh. . ) but dont stress over that side,.. do your best and have fun!

Happeninchick

Gilmore Girl
HSC
I feel, the secret to doing well in HSC dance is to be honest with yourself and know your abilities and limitations. I saw people who were not good at dance performance BUT insisted on Majoring in Performance, when the really should have been looking at one of the other electives. Some people who are good at Major performance lack in theory and aren't as creative as others who are better suited to composition and appreciation. If you want a good mark, you should be honest with yourself and persue the elective where your abilities are best suited - not the one you THINK you most enjoy!

Have you all seen the beginning auditions for 'Australian Idol?' That's a typical example of people who have not been honest with their abilities... Remember 'Georgie' and the 'Duffy Sisters?' LOL hahahaha :D Great entertainment - but ability NIL...

Goodluck to all!

saxyT

HSC
hey guys!
Thanks for the advice on composition!
I had my assesment last monday, and i finished the composition a couple of days b4. i taught it to my dancer etc. and all went well! I actually ended up going pretty well in the class. 1st i think!
Thanks so much for the advice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)