Sequencing in rooster and ochres (1 Viewer)

JLR

Ive just been going over my dot points for rooster and ochres...and was wondering how u talk about sequencing and formal structure in both works...what does it mean and what sort of things could you say..also would repetition just be looking at motifs, ie rooster strut, and like movement characteristics like the hip movements that the females often perform??

Thanx any help would be great..

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Formal structure.. Ok
Umm...
-tries to think back-

You'd begin to talk about teh dance as a whole.. the choreographers views and so on. Then i'd move on to section by section- giving a detailed look of how each section interplays with the intent and motif. How each sections manipulated. -

Reptition would be looking at the Motifs, all different ones- for instance, like you said the rooster strutt and so on. That kind of thing is what you're looking for. You look at each section carefully and choose what you think is the 'main' motif.
So in the opening song, LLR (little Red Rooster) you can look at the words.
See when the Lines "Little Red Rooster" is developed through the piece. So if a line is repeated and its relevant to the movement, you could talk about that - You'd need to learn the song lyrics for that though- but thats a good start.

Umm In ochres-
i'd suggest you look at the meaning of the word 'ochres' do some research and stuff on the artist and his inspiration etc.. what it means to him.. then look at the struture.
Its a ritual based hting..
and what do the colours all represnt. .
Yellow to begin with- whats yellow then you go on to desribe Red, Black, White etc..
(if i remember correctly those were the colours lol )
Umm when you're looking at formal structure for Ochres i'd look at it as a whole before trying to do section by section- it turns out alot easier. Then each section you look at the meanings and so on.. and that should build up a vague plan of what teh choreographer was trying to set out in meaning.. and yesh..

Oh dear, i don't know if i've gone out on a complete tangent there..
but umm... i hope that helps lol

Good luck!

JLR

Thanx that was really helpful..would you take a similar approach to discuss sequencing...like talk about the piece as a whole and then go onto to say that Ruby tuesday was strategically placed so that it shows the traditional more demur woman blah blah blah

beksta

HSC
N/A
Formal structures - both of the works have a clear and defined formal structure. Rooster being a collage which is cyclical and Ochres being a narrative.

Repetition is about singular movements but also movement phrase. So in Rooster the final song (sorry forgotten the title at present) is actually a reprise of all the songs so repetition is there. Repetition is there to enhance something and make the viewer notice something.

Sequencing, the order of the sections is purposeful. Figure out why that order

JLR

ok i think i understand it a lot better now..thanx a lot

JLR

Oh oops i just remembered another questions...its organising the movements..motif, phrase, motif into phrase...

Im fine with motif, and sort of ok with motif into phrase...but i odnt really know what to talk about for phrase alone...it that similar to sequencing...like why certain phrases are where or am i off track

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Think of the ways to manipulate the motif /into/ the phrase. Have you been through the '16 ways to manipulate a motif' - like size, dynamics, direction, high or low etc..
Umm... Phrase alone. Well, if you've worked through the motif, and the motif to phrase, you've pretty much covered it. The Phrase is the way you've 'Manipulated' or the composer/coreographer has 'manipulated ' the motif.
Umm... your phrase lemme see. -thinks-
um... kinda stuck on this one.. lol.
erm.. I think thats kinda it. If i come across the 16 ways to manipulate a motif sheet and notes i shall scan it ^.^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)