Mod A Essay Structure (1 Viewer)

MinaSaw

HSC
Hey,
Getting some contrasting information and struggling with this essay.
I was planning on going with a blocked essay (T1)(T2)(T1)(T2) but then I was told that intertwined is usually much better for the better students. However, I was struggling with it as I did not have enough on one of the texts (out of words for 1200 word limit). Asked my teacher and she said that I should do blocked. What are you guys doing and do any past Band 6s know whats good/ what they did?
Cheers

lucosh

HSC
Hey,
Getting some contrasting information and struggling with this essay.
I was planning on going with a blocked essay (T1)(T2)(T1)(T2) but then I was told that intertwined is usually much better for the better students. However, I was struggling with it as I did not have enough on one of the texts (out of words for 1200 word limit). Asked my teacher and she said that I should do blocked. What are you guys doing and do any past Band 6s know whats good/ what they did?
Cheers
Definitely do an integrated essay. Block essays will not get you very far and as far as Adv Eng goes, are considered basic. This is a comparative module and if you want a Band 6 you gotta show some sophistication in your abilities.

For anything with two texts, you should always integrate your paragraphs, and as there is so much to talk about between both texts, you should be looking to compare meaningful textual evidence that actually parallels and contrasts to reveal something related to your thesis and argument. Also, you don’t have to talk about everything - the markers know how much there is to choose from, so your selection of evidence must be judicious and support your points.

As this is a comparative module, the texts should also have equal weighting in your analysis and be mentioned the same, although it is usually ok to talk about one slightly more over the other - nevertheless, this means you will need to cull something. Usually you can go 10% +/- over or under the word count, but check with your teacher first (who should definitely be encouraging integrated essays).

Hope that helps and good luck

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
As someone who did the block essay style for every single module and the AOS, and got a 97, I strongly disagree with the above comment. The teachers are not marking you on your essay structure. It does not matter if you do a block essay or integrate the paragraphs, the more important thing is the actual stuff you are writing, so don't focus too much on fixating on a certain structure as a reason why marks change

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)