Should I drop to ESL? (1 Viewer)

erika5d

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

I'm born in Australia but I left when I was 4, and came back again two years ago.
I'm in Year 11 now and I'm doing Advanced. However for my two assessments this year, I did horrible compare to last year: 8/15 and 9/18, though last year I always got like B+~A)
I know the reason is because last year we knew what questions will be asked for the assessment tasks beforehand, so I literally memorised a whole essay, which has been proof-read by my tutor to make sure the whole essay flows, as I was (and still) having troubles with my English expression.
Though this year and I know for the HSC as well, we are responding to unseen texts and questions. My method won't work anymore.
My english did improved over these 2 years, but it is still not good enough for me to write like a local. I can't write on spot...
I've been doing tutoring these years but there's not much help... I thought it would take time but now I'll be sitting for my HSC next year and I'm still struggling with my expression and forming a sentence that can express my thought.
What draws me from picking up ESL is that I heard others saying that some courses in Uni don't accept ESL students, (I want to do medical science in Sydney Uni) but I don't know if it is true or not.

Please give me some advice, I really don't know what to do...

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
That's a big decision...

All I can tell you is don't do standard. You have a better chance of getting a good mark in ESL as opposed to standard english.

That being said, if you are struggling in advanced it may be an option.

However before you do, I suggest you research all the coures you are interested in and determine whether they have a minimum english requirement or not.

erika5d

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I've talked to my parents and we've decided that as long as my teacher has no problem with me being in the class, I'll just keep doing it.
I've also checked the English requirement of Sydney Uni and it seems like that as long as you complete an English course then it's alright. That's just for University of Sydney though, so considering the overall situation and stuff I think I'll keep doing advanced :) Thanks a lot!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)