Notes - "Whose Life Is It Anyway?" - Brian Clark (1 Viewer)

zzyookcuc

any one read the novel "who' life is it anyway"
cam u send me the issues and the theme to me

Last edited by a moderator:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Ok, I edited my essay from last year on "Whose Life..." to draw out the relevant components of the text relevant to you.

This summarises important points in the text. it may give you an idea of what the whole text is about. You can then effectively apply and extrapolate the appropriate information to the study of Journey.

In ‘Whose Life Is It Anyway?’ Clark has formulated two distinctive characters – Ken Harrison and Dr. Emerson – to base his play centred around the issue of euthanasia. Ken Harrison, who is a patient, paralysed quadraplegically, makes a plea for the freedom to decide his own destiny. This becomes obvious as his perspective is presented strongly, and to a greater extent, reflecting his background, his former livelihood as a scultor, and his experience in life. The composer utilises powerful language and eloquent analogies to represent Ken’s feelings and viewpoint on his own future: “For me life is over, I want it recognised because I can’t do the things that I want to do, that means I can’t say the things that I want to say” which provided an explanation as to why he feels the need to end his undignified life; while making a comparison between the “vegetable” and his long-term paralysis as the key reason for his passionate fight for his artistic integrity, morality and freedom.

Dr Emerson on the other hand, disagrees with Ken. He strongly believes that life is precious and he must do everything in his power to preserve it. With thirty years of experience behind him as a physician, he exhibits his knowledge through the use of medical jargon such as “valium” and “dialysis”. He articulates that his “qualified opinion” and “objective decision” are more valid and superior and therefore, restricts Ken’s desire to decide his own fate as “he cannot know enough to challenge our clinical decision”. The composer employs fluent language for both characters to present their unique perspectives, which make this text one of the most powerful pieces of evidence to demonstrate that experience is reflected through the way composers present different viewpoints.

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
My other essays containing the paragraph related to "Whose Life..."

‘Whose Life Is It Anyway?’ poses two convincing viewpoints on the issue of euthanasia between a patient named Ken and Dr Emerson. On the one hand, Ken felt there is no point in living since his accident has cost his ability to perform everyday tasks. He is paralysed so severely that he requires medical machines and constant nursing. To regain freedom and follow his morals, he must end his undignified life by stopping all further treatments. On the other hand, Dr Emerson considered his “qualify opinion” and “subjective” decision more valid and superior. He trivialised Ken’s desire to decide his fate by stating “he can’t know enough to challenge our clinical decision”. Two powerful viewpoints battled out for a desirable outcome with Ken’ stating: ‘If I cannot be a man, I do not wish to be a medical achievement’, as a stark contrast to Dr Emerson’s wishing to keep Ken alive as his first priority.

celiayoyo

HSC
回复: Notes - "Whose Life Is It Anyway?" - Brian Clark

Survivor39 said:
Ok, I edited my essay from last year on "Whose Life..." to draw out the relevant components of the text relevant to you.

This summarises important points in the text. it may give you an idea of what the whole text is about. You can then effectively apply and extrapolate the appropriate information to the study of Journey.

In ‘Whose Life Is It Anyway?’ Clark has formulated two distinctive characters – Ken Harrison and Dr. Emerson – to base his play centred around the issue of euthanasia. Ken Harrison, who is a patient, paralysed quadraplegically, makes a plea for the freedom to decide his own destiny. This becomes obvious as his perspective is presented strongly, and to a greater extent, reflecting his background, his former livelihood as a scultor, and his experience in life. The composer utilises powerful language and eloquent analogies to represent Ken’s feelings and viewpoint on his own future: “For me life is over, I want it recognised because I can’t do the things that I want to do, that means I can’t say the things that I want to say” which provided an explanation as to why he feels the need to end his undignified life; while making a comparison between the “vegetable” and his long-term paralysis as the key reason for his passionate fight for his artistic integrity, morality and freedom.

Dr Emerson on the other hand, disagrees with Ken. He strongly believes that life is precious and he must do everything in his power to preserve it. With thirty years of experience behind him as a physician, he exhibits his knowledge through the use of medical jargon such as “valium” and “dialysis”. He articulates that his “qualified opinion” and “objective decision” are more valid and superior and therefore, restricts Ken’s desire to decide his own fate as “he cannot know enough to challenge our clinical decision”. The composer employs fluent language for both characters to present their unique perspectives, which make this text one of the most powerful pieces of evidence to demonstrate that experience is reflected through the way composers present different viewpoints.
very useful~ Thank u~@!@

carlitos23

HSC
Re: 回复: Notes - "Whose Life Is It Anyway?" - Brian Clark

[have u got techinques that explain d journey,,plz i need them

blapp

HSC
Survivor39 said:

thx a lot :eek: :eek: it helps a lot .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)