Spanish for Beginners Preliminary (1 Viewer)

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
hey all this is just the beginning of a thread for the Prelimary for Spanish Beginners.... if you need help at all jus post any reply's on to this thread and ill domy best to help ya's out.... by the way whos finding the verbs abit frustrating????

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
well seeming no one will answer... jus gonna go thru the topics i've learnt so far...

Introductions and basic conversation
Mucho Gusto
Donde Vives
Numbers
alphabet
accents
verbs = bloody killer!!!!!

and was wondering if someone can help me with some questions to do with Spanish... pleasepost something..

thanks

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
yay someone is here!! hehehe thank for replying.... jus the verbs, you know how there is a masculine and a feminine he tells me for some words its includes both something to do Las (feminine) and the words aftr is a Masculine word.... thats a weird concept and also the accents... in the writing sometimes i forget to put the accents or i misplace it... is there any technique or way to correct it?

thank you! :)

SiReN

HSC
haha yeah can get pretty nasty ...anyhow here are some tips. hope they help :)
ACCENTS -(á, é, �*, ó, ú, ñ, ü)
if word ends in -n -s or a vowel, the stress falls on next-to-last syllabus.
If you remember that these - está, están, estás - are exceptions, than you remember the rule.

Words with all the other endings have an accent on the last syllabus.

Question and exclamation words - comó, dónde, qué - always have accents.

Demonstrative pronouns have an accent as opposed to demonstrative adjectives.
éste -- este libro, éstas -- estas blusas

erm i guess practise heaps and knowing these rules will help you
with the masco/fem verb thing i have some notes i dont know if its what u exactly want and if u can understand em :p
GENDER IN SPANISH:

A

Referring to males and/or ending in -o

hombre, libro
B

Referring to females and/or ending in -a -ción -tad-dad

mujer, mesa, nación, libertad, universidad
C

Ones referring neither to males or females
and having different endings can be of either gender

el lápiz, la clase, la tarde, la noche
D

Many nouns change gender by changing the last vowel
or by adding -a to the last consonant

el compañero, la compañera, un profesor, la profesora
E

Many nouns have the same form and differ only by the article

el estudiante, la estudiante
!!!

Some nouns ending in -e change gender by changing it to -a

el presidente, la presidenta
!!!

El d�*a is MASCULINE

el d�*a
!!!

Many words ending in -ma are MASCULINE

el problema, el sistema, el programa
good luck

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
thank you soo much Siren... i understand the first concept with the accents... towards the end of the verbs.... soughtalost me so i jus scrolled down and hear i am typing you a response hehehe thanks really :) got my class exam in two weeks... care to question my spanish... if you have time tho heheheh
Topics i done so far:
- greetings basic convo
- Muchu gusto
- ?donde vives? and En Casa

we are learning off this text book from england called !Mucha suerte! Spanish GCSE Fernard Dierckens....

thanks agen :) buenos noches ermosa/linda

em_516

bludging..
HSC
nice notes SiReN..but what is with the box and star..is that an i with an ..accent sorta thing (it won't work for me on here)?..i have no idea..

Mr. Sabuncuoglu (what a mouthful!)..my test is next week :( ..but it only goes for 30mins and is only on personal info..yay!

i learnt time today..haha..

edit:..and just realised this is for prelim people..ah well..i've finished the hsc but i'm learning at tafe..i'm in a similar situation to you i guess lol

Last edited:

SiReN

HSC
em_516 said:
nice notes SiReN..but what is with the box and star..is that an i with an ..accent sorta thing (it won't work for me on here)?..i have no idea.
oh thats an accent on "I" sorry yeah i dont why didnt work :confused:
& im glad i could help!

ok Mr. Sabuncuoglu because im nice ill try and help you out here :p
Essential Words and Phrases
Spanish English
Hola. Hello.
Adiós. Good-bye.
Me llamo . . . My name is . . .
¿Cómo se llama? What's your name?
¿Cómo está? How are you?
Perdone. Excuse me.
Por favor. Please.
Gracias. Thank you.
Estoy perdido(a). I'm lost.
¿Donde está . . .? Where is . . .?
. . . el baño? . . . the bathroom?
. . . el aeropuerto? . . . the airport?
. . . el central de autobús? . . . the bus station?
. . . la Estación de Tren? . . . the train station?
. . . una gasolinera? . . . a gas station?
Me ayuda por favor? Can you help me please?
Hable despacio por favor. Please speak more slowly.
No entiendo. I don't understand.
Como se dice . . . en español? How do you say . . . in Spanish?
¿Qué hora es? What time is it?
Habla inglés? Do you speak English?

GREETINGS
hola
bienvenidos
mucho gusto
el gusto es m�*o
me llamo
¿cómo se llama?
¿cómo te llamas?
te presento
adiós

buenos d�*as
buenas tardes
buenas noches

¿cómo está Ud.?
¿cómo estás? (tú)
¿cómo le va?
estoy bien
¿qué pasa?
¡nos vemos!
hasta luego
hasta pronto

buena suerte!!
:)

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
muchas gracias senorita!!!! adoro siren! hehehe Me Gusta Espana y Siren. nah seriously thanks soo much gurl!! love it heheheh some of the stuff u wrote i never even came across now in the test i canlook smart and tell him to speak slowly in spanish, or i dunt understand in spanish hehehe :p
*hugz* your kewl hehe ill let u know how i went inn the exam when it comes... and good luck to that tafe girl... i forgot ur nickname hehe but yeh good luck dude! :)

ciao bella's

SiReN

HSC
hola! awww :eek: i feel especial! no worries chico, im glad i was able to help you..i hope you do well and yeah tell me what you get! & to em aswell.. i guess ill be the helper if you got anything else try me eh lol

¡Felêz Pascua!

¡Que tengas suerte!
Buenas noches muchachos!

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
hehe will do chicas.... have a good long long weeknd and happy easter to you... :) good night (buenos noches senorita) i know spanish!!! hehe

mwa

em_516

bludging..
HSC
test was tonight..not bad..not good..wasn't what i expected but i THINK i did ok..there was one bit where i made a stupid mistake though and when i went to ask my teacher a question (i thought i was missing a page) she told me the answer!! haha..i think she did the same for other people as they asked questions..technically NOT cheating :p ..woulda picked up on the mistake anyway..hmph..it was also supposed to be 30mins but she gave us an hour..i'm thinking tafe is very relaxed and wants everyone to pass lol

em_516

bludging..
HSC
*listens to a pin drop*..so um..it really goes off in the spanish forum eh!

test results back last night..i got 'MB' - muy bien lol..we didn't get actual marks lol..either MB, B or S - muy bien, bien or suficiente lol

we've been doing a lot on verbs lately

ie. tomar
yo - tomo
tú - tomas
él-ella-usted - toma
nosotros-nosotras - tomamos
vosotros-vosotras - tomaês (that e should be an i with apostrophe yeh...won't work :S)
ellos-ellas-ustedes - toman

eww..

and then reflexive verbs last night..and me, te, se, nos, os, se..double eww

miffytoki

HSC
i've just started spanish at uni...gawd its hard....i'm finding all the verbs really confusing...like i get them but i sitll get confused with which ones to use....

i think we're just starting to do reading time. we've just finished directions. before that we did rooms in the house, family members, greetings, descriptions of people, numbers, alphabet, and postal addresses.

i'm so dreading our oral exam soon :| sooo hard! we got these lab exercises where the ppl speak soo fast ....gotta listen to the tape like 20 times before u get the whole sentence out!

em_516

bludging..
HSC
eep that sounds hard..our oral is only graded throughout the semester..we only get two 30min writing tests..thank god..

at least your work seems to have some kind of structure..i've learnt a lot but i still can't have a conversation..so not even close..:(

miffytoki

HSC
not sure what our oral is going to be like they haven't told us much about it. all i know is that its in about 2 wks...written and oral....

i failed my first assignment. it was mostly grammer stuff....i'm very bummed abotu that cos they were all stupid mistakes really like using "es" instead of "son" with plural...and using formal responses instead of informal (i misread the question).

i do kinda feel lost in our syllabus tho...like it is structured i guess....btu only cos the students put names to the topics....like when we learn grammer its sorta all over the place and our tutor doesn't really explain the grammer too well or the different forms of the words...we're kinda forced to go home and look it all up again and study alot....

em_516

bludging..
HSC
do you guys have texts? if so, could you name them..or it? we don't get anything :(..just sheets she hands out..

miffytoki

HSC
we don't have nething.....she will write up some stuff occasionally..but apart from that its basically we learn a few phrases a day....we have classroom activities that we print off from the school's website and grammer notes...no textbook tho.....i think that sux...but once u get the basic grammer structures its basically vocab from there....i've been getting by using internet lessons, a two way dictionary and a phrase book....

can anyone write this sentence in plural form?

tu eres joven...

i'm not sure...i think its either "sois jovenes" or "ellos estan joven"

and also

tu tienes un reloj

i think that one is "tus teneis unas relojes"...

em_516

bludging..
HSC
'tu eres joven'

um..i would think 'sois jovenes'..except 'you are young' as plural sounds weird lol..i think 'ellos' might be right also..but i don't understand your use of 'estan joven'..no idea what 'estan' is (haha i'm so crap at this..'estan' rings a bell..that is all) and i would have thought 'joven' should still be 'jovenes' because it's in plural and everything gets an 's' or 'es' tacked on..(you may be right but this is my understanding..please explain :))

'tu tienes un reloj'

does 'tu' get pluralised as 'tus'?? because isn't 'tú' 'you'..and 'tu' 'your'?? so then it would just be 'tu'..and your singular eg should say 'tú'?? (man i so have no idea haha and i hope you understood that haha)..and i also thought 'tienes' was a plural of 'tiene'..but THAT i am DEFINITELY not sure of..i so don't get that word lol..also my dictionary says 'reloj' is male..(although my dictionary has been wrong before :() so then wouldn't 'un' become 'unos'? man..so hard! the only thing i know for sure is that 'reloj' becomes 'relojes'..lol

man..that took a lot of effort!..and i couldn't seem to give you any certain answers..sorry!

miffytoki

HSC
i'm pretty sure is vosotros sois joven...i don't think theres such thing as jovenes....i'll check it later i have a QMA test tomorrow!!

tu i think changes to vosotros, but u can use tus aswell....it depends i think on the toher words around it...i'm so confused too...

and yer it def becomes relojes heheh....u should try changing your spell check in word to spanish grammer...it helps alot...its cheating...but hey all is fair when other ppl do it!

they saud we can use all resources at our disposal....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)