Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tennis - G.O.A.T - Federer vs Laver

HSC

Re: Tennis - G.O.A.T - Federer vs Laver

I'm not really into speculating grand slams since there's so many good competitors out there that can cause an upset :P. If Nadal heals his knee injury he should win the FO.

Anyway in summary, my opinion for GOAT: Laver --> Borg --> Federer.

Anyone disagree with Borg's placement?
    Last edited by Sanical; 18 Apr 2012 at 8:11 PM.
    Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore

"I haven't even talked to Nick yet. I was trying to track him down this week, which is always fun.. So I called [Nick's brother] Nate, and Nate told me, 'Listen, if you talk to him, tell him I'm looking for him too.'"

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Sanical View Post
    I'm not really into speculating grand slams since there's so many good competitors out there that can cause an upset :P. If Nadal heals his knee injury he should win the FO.

Anyway in summary, my opinion for GOAT: Laver --> Borg --> Federer.

Anyone disagree with Borg's placement?
    IMHO, Laver > Federer > Borg
    But, it's probably because I'm a vivid Federer fan. (bias and all)

Even if Nadal heals his knee, the question is:
    Can he overcome Djokovic's dominance and snap out of his present state?

Murray and Djokovic are potentially able to de-throne Nadal with their current form.

HSC

Yeah I think Djokovic will take the slam if he went against Nadal considering he's beaten Nadal the last 2 times they've met on clay.

"I haven't even talked to Nick yet. I was trying to track him down this week, which is always fun.. So I called [Nick's brother] Nate, and Nate told me, 'Listen, if you talk to him, tell him I'm looking for him too.'"

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Sanical View Post
    Yeah I think Djokovic will take the slam if he went against Nadal considering he's beaten Nadal the last 2 times they've met on clay.
    Basically, Nadal has nowhere left to hide from Djokovic. He never once had to fear the loss of his throne on clay (because Federer could never overcome Nadal at the FO) until Djokovic reached his PEAK last year and is now within his prime.

Nadal is probably hoping that Federer takes out Djokovic again in the semi finals but with the current rankings:
    A most likely semi-finals line-up at the FO is:

1st vs 4th
    2nd vs 3rd

Djokovic vs Murray SEMIS
    Nadal vs Federer SEMIS

So Nadal has to do his usual job of crushing Federer on clay and finishing off the tournament with a win against Djokovic (whom he has lost to for 7 or so consecutive finals).

Murray MAY be able to upset Djokovic if Djokovic played like he did in Dubai. But then the question is:
    Can Murray defeat the King of Clay on clay?

IIRC, Lendl won his first slam at the FO? So can Murray do so as well?
    Sampras won US Open for one last time after having loss 8 slams in a row, so can Federer do so as well (Federer has not yet won a slam for 8 slams in a row atm)?

Personally, I'm cheering for Federer and Murray.
    I'm sick of Nadal vs Djokovic finals.
    I hope Isner upsets Djokovic at the FO and Del-Potro/Soderling upsets Nadal at the FO. But that is obviously, wishful thinking :/

HSC

federer has also never won gold at the olympics, i know there are much bigger things to do in the sport, but that's something he may want as well.
    ~

HSC
    N/A
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by barbernator View Post
    federer has also never won gold at the olympics, i know there are much bigger things to do in the sport, but that's something he may want as well.
    he actually has technically
    cracker

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by kaz1 View Post
    he actually has technically
    in doubles... Ha!

HSC

lol tennis. fun to watch but not for 5 hours straight. 1 hour max

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Realista View Post
    Players like Djokovic and Nadal take wayy too long in between serves which causes matches to last long.

While, players like Federer and Murray are quite quicker in comparison.

HSC

I sorta agree. Time does fly but I REALLY hate the ads they always shove in between every game break. It does begin to get quite tedious. That's why there are people like Gael Monfils

HSC

Roger Federer no doubt as the greatest. I think there is little room for dispute there, though some discussion is interesting. I think Djokovic may prove to becoming one of the best - if he is able to replicate his career statistics. He had an unparalleled year last season, winning the greatest majority of the ATP Masters 1000 Series. For those he did lose, I personally think he was just lethargic and weary from all the tournament he had to participate in conjunction with that massive winning streak he had to maintain, before losing it to Federer. By the looks of it, Djokovic may be able and looks well enough to obtain a Calendar Grand Slam and so far as, a Golden Slam (including the Olympic Gold Medal).

In acknowledging all that, Federer's achievements are unparalleled and the mere fact that he still poses a threat to those in their peak (Murray, Nadal and Djokovic) is a testament to his legacy and ability. If you examine his timeline in the majors in recent years following his peak, the worst result is the Quarter Finals. That's pretty damn good for a 30 year old whose peak has gone by. Just saying.

As with Nadal, despite my neutral thoughts on him (I don't hate or like him), he is arguably the greatest clay-court player. I have a feeling that Nadal will not lose another consecutive win at the French or even Monte-Carlo to Djokovic. Popular opinion obviously says Djokovic, but there may be chance that he won't even graze Nadal. That said, if Djokovic knocks out Nadal in the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters Finals, Federer can rise to #2 and take Nadal's position!
    International Studies/Law @ UNSW

HSC
    Uni Grad

Talking Re: Tennis - G.O.A.T - Federer vs Laver

Hewitt vs Bagdatis Australian Open (few years back) was AWESOME.

Lol, it's only boring if I don't go for any of the two players on But then again, the only matches I watch fully nowadays are with Federer which goes by so fast and smoothly (except when he verses Nadal ==)

Quote Originally Posted by RivalryofTroll View Post
    Players like Djokovic and Nadal take wayy too long in between serves which causes matches to last long.

While, players like Federer and Murray are quite quicker in comparison.
    I remember in a match, the commentators said they took too long and that it was over the maximum time...

As for who I go for, it will always be Federer

HSC

If you play tennis, and love it as much as me, then you will understand and be able to comprehend how intense today's game really is.
    Not to mention how hard it is to hit the shots that the pros are hitting. Some people say, "oh yeah, tennis, how boring", but in reality they don't see the beauty in the game and the skill involved to play it.
    You can still win matches if you are a great returner or server, but if there's at least one aspect of your game that can be broken down, then that can be the difference in the match.
    This is what sets it apart from other sports and one of the reasons I love the game.

Back on topic. Djokovic may be on top, but he hasn't hit crazy shorts like Federer or Nadal.
    These two individuals are outstanding, and if you get the chance to watch one of their games, they are truly amazing.
    Even when they aren't playing each other, I think Federer is the best player of all time just because he is the most well rounded player.
    I like Nadal too, don't get me wrong, his game is so good offensively and defensively, but the sheer mentality of never giving up and running down every ball makes him highly respectable.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by kaz1 View Post
    Federer greatest of all time? He isn't even the greatest of his generation, he struggles to beat Djokovic and Nadal.

But he is my favourite player, watching him play is amahzing.
    Lol what are you talking about Federer is 5 years older than Nadal and 6 years older than Djokovic. His record against Djokovich is 14-10 and 10-18 against Nadal but on grass/indoor hard court his record is 6-1 ie he is just *really* shit on clay (so shit). 285 weeks as #1 (237 consecutive 2004-2008).

As it stands, his record is better than the other 2. His form of late has not been as good as them but that is irrelevant when you are looking at entire career performance.

He may well be overtaken by both of them, in terms of greatness, and i predict that he will. But that is also irrelevant because it wont happen for another 5 years.

HSC

But yes he shouldn't be #1 if he cant win a fucking game on clay lol. #3 at best. Best grass/hardcourt player ever.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by boris View Post
    But yes he shouldn't be #1 if he cant win a fucking game on clay lol. #3 at best. Best grass/hardcourt player ever.
    Well, he managed to pull off FO 2009.

:/

All thanks to Mr Soderling.

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

I'd say that Federer is the GOAT for ages to come. His elegant playing style will allow him to play for a longer time, compared to players like Nadal whose playing style revolves around heavy topspin which is a strain on the body - compare the injuries, Federer does not have many whilst Nadal has tribulations even now with his knee. Also, you have to remember that the top 4, Murray, Nadal, Djokovic are close to their peak ages - Nadal in 2010, Djokovic in 2011 - and for Federer in his 30's to still take sets of them is commendable. All Federer needs now is the Olympics singles gold medal and this year looks to be a good opportunity as it takes place on grasscourts.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Autonomatic View Post
    I'd say that Federer is the GOAT for ages to come. His elegant playing style will allow him to play for a longer time, compared to players like Nadal whose playing style revolves around heavy topspin which is a strain on the body - compare the injuries, Federer does not have many whilst Nadal has tribulations even now with his knee. Also, you have to remember that the top 4, Murray, Nadal, Djokovic are close to their peak ages - Nadal in 2010, Djokovic in 2011 - and for Federer in his 30's to still take sets of them is commendable. All Federer needs now is the Olympics singles gold medal and this year looks to be a good opportunity as it takes place on grasscourts.
    Federer isn't what he used to be on grasscourts. His worst performance last year was at Wimbledon as well.

He is more capable on hardcourts nowadays.

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

Federer isn't what he used to be on grasscourts. His worst performance last year was at Wimbledon as well.

He is more capable on hardcourts nowadays.
    With Federer, you'll never know. It's a pity how he had lost that match to Tsonga leading 2 sets and also in the US open having 2 match points to Djokovic. Seems as if he is lacking intensity late in his matches.

HSC
    Uni Grad

With Federer, you'll never know. It's a pity how he had lost that match to Tsonga leading 2 sets and also in the US open having 2 match points to Djokovic. Seems as if he is lacking intensity late in his matches.
    I think this year, he has performed with much more intensity than last year. I hope he has 1 more slam within him.

So who are everyone's favourites for FO?
    My favourites for FO this year are:
    - Big 4 - Federer/Murray
    - Dark Horse - Del Potro

HSC

I think this year, he has performed with much more intensity than last year. I hope he has 1 more slam within him.

So who are everyone's favourites for FO?
    My favourites for FO this year are:
    - Big 4 - Federer/Murray
    - Dark Horse - Del Potro
    Pretty much - Big 4. To be honest, I love Federer, but I just see Djokovic replicating his unparalleled success again this year.
    International Studies/Law @ UNSW

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

I anticipate Djokovic and Nadal to be facing each other in the finals of Monte Carlo aka Nadal's 2nd fortress - providing Nadal beats the lesser known Simon and Djokovic beats in-form Berdych who he has a H2H of 8-1. If Djokovic wins the title... and continues a successful clay-court season... French Open is anyone's guess...

HSC
    Uni Grad

I anticipate Djokovic and Nadal to be facing each other in the finals of Monte Carlo aka Nadal's 2nd fortress - providing Nadal beats the lesser known Simon and Djokovic beats in-form Berdych who he has a H2H of 8-1. If Djokovic wins the title... and continues a successful clay-court season... French Open is anyone's guess...
    I actually hoped Wawrinka would have a chance against Nadal for yesterday's match.

It was a close one.

Cadet
    HSC

Federer is a great player.!
    Yeah, i think there is a cycle ......
    well, Federer beats Djokovic,
    Djokovic beats Nadal,
    Nadal beats Federer,

and the cycle continues, though its a bit dodgy at times..

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by thekooldude View Post
    Federer is a great player.!
    Yeah, i think there is a cycle ......
    well, Federer beats Djokovic,
    Djokovic beats Nadal,
    Nadal beats Federer,

and the cycle continues, though its a bit dodgy at times..
    He's the G.O.A.T for now so yeah... :/

He's not 'just' great. He's the greatest.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information