Anyone lost at ACCT1501? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm not that bad in first 2 weeks of accounting, but then after tonights lecture of accounting (ie. this week) i totally got lost

no really, totally lost... i can sort of pick up in some bits but primarily i feel fucked and i have a feeling it'll get worse

i talked too zahid, looks like im going too be seeing lots of those PASS people now :(

one question, do they get compensated for wasting their time on people who have stupid questions like me?

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
I'm still in the black

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
PASS leaders probably would prefer to answer lots of questions, rather than have a group that just sits there and only goes for the notes..

Just read the textbook .. and do those practice exercises

And if i remember right it does get worse. Well mainly in the sense that if you don't get this core stuff then you won't understand the rest of the course. But hey it's still early days

actually i'm totally lost too, for finance

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Kazuya said:
PASS leaders probably would prefer to answer lots of questions, rather than have a group that just sits there and only goes for the notes..
YES!!!!!
As a PASS leader I can tell you that by asking questions you motivate us even more... I hate when we don't get feedback and people just sit there staring at us blankly. We don't know if you understand or not, you have to tell us by asking questions if you have any or answering our questions when you know what we are talking about!

And don't bother putting your hand up, just shout it out!

tempco

HSC
Go to PASS and ask questions. Go to your tutorial and ask questions. Ask questions, basically.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
ENRON must of had first year accountants, because the only hardish thing is recognising some things as either assets/liabilities or nothing, but its definitely getting interesting with journals starting next week and the expanded accounting equation.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Casmira - I was in a similar situation when I was in first year...4 weeks in I was pretty stressed cause I did not understand most of what was going on in lectures (I never went to PASS either, silly me), and in tutes I'd just sit there blankly. But I sat down and said "alright, I'm just gonna study till I get it" and toward the latter half of the semester, I was actively participating in the tute q's/discussion and the work "became" easier. (I ended up with 87 HD for ACCT1501)

So don't worry if you're starting to lose it, there's always time to knuckle down and re-learn lectures you didnt understand

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
hey Casmira bro don't worry you are not alone. Most of the people I know that do ACCT 1501 including one 100UAI guy that I met last week are all like "wtf" after that last lecture by Claudia. Seriously though, the PASS guys are awesome (but ask them questions, no matter how stupid they sound) In my PASS class there is this really stupid girl who asks all the dumb questions and that’s actually better for me cause most of the time she asks the stuff that I am wondering. As far as my method for ACCT1501 just do all the readings in that Financial Accounting Book (the fat one), and do the questions in the course resource KIT, and if you find that you cant do a few of them, then go ask your tutor or PASS Leader or even any other friend that does ACCT1501 (not me though because I will probably end up giving you the wrong answer). Also make sure you access the Lecture notes on Vista and use that in addition to the FAT Accounting book to make some notes for yourself. I can give you my notebook to photocopy if that helps. And finally try to stay in the lecture for the entire duration (I know 2 hours is a long time) even though it may seem overwhelming. Trust me man your brain works in strange ways. I have noticed that the more I find something difficult the more I strive towards understanding it. I will talk to ya at uni. J

Last edited:
HSC
Minai said:
Casmira - I was in a similar situation when I was in first year...4 weeks in I was pretty stressed cause I did not understand most of what was going on in lectures (I never went to PASS either, silly me), and in tutes I'd just sit there blankly. But I sat down and said "alright, I'm just gonna study till I get it" and toward the latter half of the semester, I was actively participating in the tute q's/discussion and the work "became" easier. (I ended up with 87 HD for ACCT1501)

So don't worry if you're starting to lose it, there's always time to knuckle down and re-learn lectures you didnt understand
exact same story with me and SDD, stressed i didnt know so i crammed one of the books into my brain and went from 60 trial mark to 86 HSC mark :p ... thanks for the advice minai ill start studying the book as well as attend PASS classes to clarify what i am confused about

lol zahid there was no point me staying rest of that lecture i saw rest of the resource kit sheet for the week, i had no fucking idea what it was on about

Far_Q

HSC
What are you guys learning now?...at my uni (MQ), the stuff we learn in the first 3-4 weeks seems to be very basic accounting concepts and basic transactions like recording assets and liabilities, income and expense and cash flow statements...

HSC
finance sheet, breaking down (in detail) the A = L + OE equation

UNSW is always fast paced, iknow people that went too both USYD and UTS they tell me unsw is way faster but more laid back

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Visualise/work-out things using T-accounts, once you get into dealing with transactions. It always clears things up for me.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Casmira said:
unsw is way faster but more laid back
How the heck does that work?
Did he mean that unsw doesnt care if you understand it or not.. but just keeps moving on?:eek:

HSC
Eagles said:
How the heck does that work?
Did he mean that unsw doesnt care if you understand it or not.. but just keeps moving on?:eek:
bingo, thats why they offer like 2-3 levels of help, your tutor, consult with lecture, PAS class (i think theres even more help available)

politik said:
The only thing that fucked my up was when Claudia said that in Accounting when Assets go up they're called debits and when they go down they're called credits. Now that is the most retarded thing I have ever heard.
yeh thats actually my main "what the fuck", initially she talks about debits/credits i get her, then she flipped terminology without me realising so she refers too it in its opposite sense and i had no idea why so i thought she was on drugs

Far_Q

HSC
politik said:
The only thing that fucked my up was when Claudia said that in Accounting when Assets go up they're called debits and when they go down they're called credits. Now that is the most retarded thing I have ever heard.
My lecturer at MQ basically says that debits and credits have no meaning, they are just symbolisms used to make things easier. Debits always belong on the left side, credits on the right. But it does get a lil confusing at first when trying to record transactions...

tracy88

HSC
I'm also struggling with Accounting 1A, I wanna go to PASS next week . . .
If anyone's been to PAS, can they tell me which timeslot has the best PASS class?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)