Accounting at UNSW (1 Viewer)

funkyj

HSC
Hey Guys/Gals, I'm new on this forum so first I like to say Hi to everyone :) I found this site when I was surfing the net for information on what students have to say about their courses. I have enrolled for both Master of Accting (cpa extention) from Macquarie as well as the Master in Prof. Acc from UNSW and I am still not sure as to which one I should take if I were offered a place in both the uni. I have many of my queries sorted by reading some of the other posts. Still in particular, the things that interests me are like the quality and standard of the course, the competency of the tutors/lecturers, percentage of asians in accounting courses, employment prospects/services and an average day in the life of a UNSW accounting student. I hope some of you can shed some light on some of these matters so I can make a more informed judgement. Thanks! :wave:

ps: I had started a similar thread in Macq uni. section jus to weigh out the 2 option.

Last edited:

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
I read somewhere that there are 57% international students in Mcom, so I would assume it would be a similar number for accounting. (UNSW)

Edit; Sorry to go off topic, but what marks were required, and how much does the unsw course cost, as I couldn't find much info on the FCE site?

funkyj

HSC
:jaw: Wow 90% Asian students in commerce!..... haha. Is the uni. building a mini chinatown? :p

With regards to entry requirement in the program that I have enrolled, it just says that the minimum requirement is completion of an Australian Bachelor degree in any discipline from a recognised institution (or overseas qualifications deemed equivalent). Students are then assessed on a number of criteria including:

* An above average mark obtained in a Bachelor degree (for Australian qualifications this would generally be in the range of 60-65%) will result in an offer being made without requiring further assessment of the application
* Relevant work experience is not a requirement but will be taken into consideration as an indicator of performance to support the application
* Completion of other undergraduate, postgraduate or research qualifications
*Professional qualifications completed through relevant professional bodies, for example the Institute of Chartered Accountants or CPA Australia
* GMAT score of 580 or above. The Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) is an exam created to measure the academic abilities needed to succeed in graduate management education, further information can be obtained from www.gmac.com

The fees for international students is currently AU$2,730 per 6 Unit Of Credit (UOC). So for 96 UOC to complete the course, u're looking at AU$43,680.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
It is NOT 90% asian students, don't listen to any numbers politik puts up because they are full of crap.

The only reason why it might seem that way is because one particular background group shows up to uni more often than the other.

chris_c28

Random Member
HSC
politik said:
Uh, you proved my point with your second line. It may well be 90%, since noone else takes University that seriously. Kudos to the International Students though, they deserve the marks they get for the effort they make. If only the rest of us could put everything on the line like they do and travel to another country to make it in this world. That said, UNSW in general, the 42% figure is official.
Simply because as international students, we cannot afford to not take university seriously. After all, it's the only reason we're here.
OT : What's so bad about international students anyway? We provide a better mix of cultures and "promote" understanding between them at campus (lol, for me at least). That being said, international students are often being stereotyped poorly.

rand0m3r

HSC
redslert said:
It is NOT 90% asian students, don't listen to any numbers politik puts up because they are full of crap.
that's right, don't listen to politik, he doesn't even do commerce.

funkyj

HSC
Its alright m8, I just wanted to have a rough idea and the number of asian/international students doesn't deter me from choosing one uni from the other. There are other more important things to consider.

So how is it like studying accounting for you guys at UNSW? Is it fun and exciting and are the lecturers interesting and good? etc etc...........

volition

arr.
HSC
I go to UNSW and I'm doing a Bachelor of Commerce, but it's hard for me to say, because I haven't been to another uni's lectures... I find the lectures rather crammed in with material, I don't find them that useful. I find my tutorial much more useful for learning. Maybe I just haven't adjusted from the high school style of learning, but I'm still verry happy to be at UNSW.

rand0m3r

HSC
i guess it depends who you have. but overall, i've never found any of the accounting lecturers that exciting. it is accounting, after all.

chris_c28

Random Member
HSC
rand0m3r said:
i guess it depends who you have. but overall, i've never found any of the accounting lecturers that exciting. it is accounting, after all.
Claudia is nice. Caitlin is nice too, just a little over-excited at times.
Diane gets me all mixed up (confused) every time, including times when I asked her about the practice set.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
redslert said:

The only reason why it might seem that way is because one particular background group shows up to uni more often than the other.
haha , nicely put..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)