Comm/Law with hons... (1 Viewer)

jonathan__

HSC
Okay i've pretty much got my eyes set of Comm/Law with a major and Honours in Finance. I've read that students are allowed to interpolate the hons year between Years 3 and 4 of our program, which would make it pretty hectic. I would also like to graduate from my Comm degree after 3 years, which requires an extra 12UOC of General Education to be completed. Are allowed to do some of that 12UOC in Year 2 so Year 3 won't b such a bitch? Cheers..

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
You can do what ever you want as long as it fits your timetable.
If you are desparate, you can do GENEDs during winter or summer holidays.

Royus

HSC
Uni Grad
jonathan__ said:
Okay i've pretty much got my eyes set of Comm/Law with a major and Honours in Finance.

shite.....y would u wanna do that? like get ur 5 years done, get out and get into things......

Buh yea Finance Hons is good

how did u make up ur mind so quickly into 1st yr?
man im still deciding like this far into 2nd year......

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
jonathan__ said:
Okay i've pretty much got my eyes set of Comm/Law with a major and Honours in Finance. I've read that students are allowed to interpolate the hons year between Years 3 and 4 of our program, which would make it pretty hectic. I would also like to graduate from my Comm degree after 3 years, which requires an extra 12UOC of General Education to be completed. Are allowed to do some of that 12UOC in Year 2 so Year 3 won't b such a bitch? Cheers..
My finance tutor (who's my age funnily enough) is a 4th year com/law, but is doing her honours year this year (six years all up)

It's good in the sense you have a lot of knowledge and experience (from tutoring), but its bloody long..

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
What about BSc (Hons) (Statistics) on top of a 4-yr BCom/BSc?

jonathan__

HSC
Haha well i've been contemplating either hons or masters in finance as comm/law isn't that special now since so many ppl have it..but i'll leave the masters as a last resort if i dun get a job (with a decent salary!). It'll also make my parents more likely to chip in to help me get a better car (RX8 !!) =p

meyero

HSC
How about you just don't do the GenEds as they aren't required for double degrees

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
jonathan__ said:
Haha well i've been contemplating either hons or masters in finance as comm/law isn't that special now since so many ppl have it..but i'll leave the masters as a last resort if i dun get a job (with a decent salary!). It'll also make my parents more likely to chip in to help me get a better car (RX8 !!) =p
mate, u got motivation

wait till u hit 3rd or 4th year - u want bloody out
on top of seeing all ur comm friends getting jobs that'd ud apply for 2 years later..

jonathan__

HSC
Grizzly said:
mate, u got motivation

on top of seeing all ur comm friends getting jobs that'd ud apply for 2 years later..
haha yeh i was also wondering if people finishing their law component (4th and 5th year) full-time could manage a decent avg (at least credit) while working part-time for a finance firm ? I think it's around 12 or so contact hours per week, which seems feasible, but plz correct me if im rong.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
jonathan__ said:
haha yeh i was also wondering if people finishing their law component (4th and 5th year) full-time could manage a decent avg (at least credit) while working part-time for a finance firm ? I think it's around 12 or so contact hours per week, which seems feasible, but plz correct me if im rong.
Slow down a bit,

seeing as you have 4 summers, your best shot - as a honors comm / law student with a D avg (cr avg won't suffice) seeking work in a financial institution - is just to apply for summer internships.

Friend of mine in 5th yr comm law just could not continue his clerkship with a top legal firm simply because of the demands of uni / work...and he wasnt even doing honors.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Grizzly said:
mate, u got motivation

It's surprising that I've never felt that.

Honours is more than just another yr to apply for jobs. It's an opportunity to challenge and extend yourself.

Also, in the long run, it opens up the opportunity to do further research such as a PhD, and make yourself famous by publishing your research in an international journal (which is way cooler than having lots of $$$). Remember, you can't take the money with you when you die, but at least if you publish something you'll be remembered for something worthwhile.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
§eraphim said:
It's surprising that I've never felt that.

Honours is more than just another yr to apply for jobs. It's an opportunity to challenge and extend yourself.

Also, in the long run, it opens up the opportunity to do further research such as a PhD, and make yourself famous by publishing your research in an international journal (which is way cooler than having lots of $$$). Remember, you can't take the money with you when you die, but at least if you publish something you'll be remembered for something worthwhile.
seraphim speaks some good truth there.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Yeah, well, even not doing honours - 5yrs ...

its prolly just me , im itching to grad and start work !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)