com & sci (1 Viewer)

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
now that i know my uai i think, HOPE! that i can at least make it into commerce at UNSW :)

hmm

at first i was thinking about only doing BComm major in actuarial studies...

but now thinking about it, i think a double degree won't hurt

so...BComm/BSci

now i don't know what major i should pick for Sci degree
i want some of your advice on what is most beneficial towards the actuarial degree...but don't know what to choose

i was thinking about doing Computer Science as the major...is that good? or should i be looking at more maths and statistics?
im not a mathematical genius..don't really like to stack too heavily on maths only

thankz

lawforever

HSC
i was thinking to do the same double degree too

but i realized actuarial is enough for me to struggle

two degrees are too hard to get passed

dvse

HSC
N/A
Stats, maths and comp sci are all good choices. It can be argued that comp sci is the most useful if you want to be an actuary as you often have to deal with extracting data from complex databases, writing programs in VBA, SAS etc.

Also remember that getting grad actuarial jobs has become pretty competitive compared to a few years ago and a double degree can set you apart, particularly if it demonstrates that you have strong programming skills.

Also I would consider getting most of Part I exemptions through IA UK correspondence courses and doing something like accounting for your commerce major. This way you can get 2 professional qualifications while at uni.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
thank you for the reply! helps with my indecisions! :)

i have been told by someone who just finished his act degree and can't find anything...have to settle for accounting
so i think i will have to do double just to increase my chances

milktea

but but i've read off the booklet in b commerce/b science and it says if you wanna choose computer science as a major in science to combine with actuarial studies, but next to computer science in brackets it says only with permission from school, what does that mean?

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
yeah i asked about this, all it means is that after you enrol with commerce you need to show it to the school of computer science and engineering and get an approved program with them

milktea

yup yup, thanks ic now^^, but u think they guarantee you a place in comp science if doin' combined with actuarial? cause otherwise i'll prob. only do b commerce then.........

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
yeah im planning to do actuarial + comp sci... im not sure about guaranteeing and stuff. the program is loaded... but you should be able to get something approved pretty easily.. just less freedom

alman

u think a act stu and finance double would do any harm?

after all, they are inter-related..

dvse

HSC
N/A
It's not a double degree, as you will only end up with BCom.

Finance or accounting are the best choices for the second commerce major, but in truth, you will hardly learn anything new in finance if you do actl. ACTL2001 and ACTL3004 include a condensed overview of virtually everything you will do in finance major.

The only fiinance course that i found really practical and worthwhile was FINS3641.

Accounting on the other hand can give you a reasonably good idea how to read and understand financial statements which are a key source of information used for investment decisions.

What you can also do, is enrol into a BCom / BSc, pick a commerce major (say actl) and then after you've finished the requirements of actl major, transfer into accounting or finance major. Just make sure that some science subjects are still outstanding, preventing you from graduation. This way you can get BCom / BSci with 2 commerce majors in just 4.5 years (need to take 1 summer course, I think)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)