What exactly is pass conceded ? (1 Viewer)

paddyfield

HSC
I got 48% -- pass conceded (PC) for FINS2624, a finance core subject. What does it actually mean ?

I failed the course or I'm considered pass the course?
Do I need to re-take this course in the future as I have not achieved 50%??
Can I appeal for a pass (PS) ?
What can I do now ?

Help !

noixe

HSC
hey paddy, if you don't mind me asking, did you get a 48% because the course was extra hard, or because you didn't study much for it? i'm taking it next semester, so i'd like a head-up on the toughness and the amount of work i'd have to put in to it...

FuJu

HSC
I did this course this semester. I got 66, with my next lowest mark being 75.

People went poorly in my opinion because of how Henry Yip structured the assessments. 80% of the course is assessed by bullshit multiple choice questions which are something like:

Question (choose the most correct answer)

A) Answer 1
B) Answer 2
C) Answer 3
D) A and B
E) B and C

Basically, all the possible answers are extremely similar to one another, and then you have to pick the best answer of the five. It's incredibly difficult, especially when there's numerous grammar mistakes throughout the questions.

The content isn't particularly difficult (no more so than FINS1613), it's just the way it's assessed that makes it difficult to do overly well.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
A pass conceded indicates a performance below that normally required for a pass. May be granted provided that the overall performance is considered to warrant such a concession, and allows progression to another course for which the former course is a prerequisite.

basically, you just made it, congrats :)

also, i googled 'unsw pass conceded', GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND :)

jeffchong

HSC
I did this course this semester. I got 66, with my next lowest mark being 75.

People went poorly in my opinion because of how Henry Yip structured the assessments. 80% of the course is assessed by bullshit multiple choice questions which are something like:

Question (choose the most correct answer)

A) Answer 1
B) Answer 2
C) Answer 3
D) A and B
E) B and C

Basically, all the possible answers are extremely similar to one another, and then you have to pick the best answer of the five. It's incredibly difficult, especially when there's numerous grammar mistakes throughout the questions.

The content isn't particularly difficult (no more so than FINS1613), it's just the way it's assessed that makes it difficult to do overly well.
Gimme a five! I got 66 too! I fucked my midsession terribly, but I guess the finals saved me. Doing the workshop questions really helped. But the tute questions weren't that helpful in general. However I dunno if Henry will be having anymore workshops in the future because he once said in lecture "the more I give the less I get". He actually means the more he tries to help students (ie starting workshops, giving hints about quizzes, midsession, etc), the worse students perform.

But I must agree, the MCQ questions were uber gay and close to each other. Good thing I read the newspaper articles. The journal articles were a waste of time though. I actually hated the newspaper & journal articles; what's the point reading these crap anyway? Even my tutor said it's stupid.

Good luck to everyone who's doing this course in the future. I think the luckiest group was the one who did 2624 in s1 2009 - for the first time (i heard) a different lecturer taught FINS2624 - Julia Henker and I heard that she's really good. My guess is - Henry probably got heaps of negative comments on the CATEI forms that the uni 'banned' him (LOL) from teaching 2624 for a semester. You never know. lol:devil:

Last edited:

onholidays

HSC
Hey,

I got 47 for one of my subjects and the school decided to give me a Fail. My assumption is that only one of the following rules of the Concession Algorithm need apply for you to be considered for a PC:

Table 3: Concession Algorithm
All undergraduate students are now subject to uniform rules, based on marks under consideration, and the student's current and past performances (Weighted Average Mark - WAM).

A student is eligible for consideration for a PC under these rules:

Mark Range Qualifying Condition
48 or 49 Term WAM at least 53
46 or 47 Term WAM at least 55
46 to 49 Overall WAM at least 55
46 to 49 Pot Grad and no failures
Limit: 18 Units of Credit of PC's over all U/G programs

The problem is I had some family issues this semester which adversely affected my performance throughout the term and so my overall and term WAM has dropped significantly. I mean, personal circumstances do affect performance and like, that's why I did shitty in all of my subjects and thus dropped my WAM down to below the thresholds indicated above.

So why can't they give me a PC since personal circumstances don't just affect one subject. They affect it all and so I don't think the above algorithm rules apply in the case of special consideration cases.

I've written a letter to the lecturer in charge about it but I don't know if she'll reply.

way2hott4u

HSC
In UNSW, if you receive a PC mark, do the units of credit still count the same as if it were a pass?

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
although you can only count 18uoc of PCs over your degree, so make sure you don't get one every session.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)