Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Various Commerce Degrees - Pros/Cons, Student Experiences

HSC
    Uni Grad
    Quote Originally Posted by fortune_cookie View Post
    Pfft... so what? Wouldn't have made any difference.

Wow, 3 spots for 2nd year Finance. I don't even think I am allowed to apply for them anyway. I am enrolled in a double degree. Also, I am not really sure what year I am actually in. I have only completed 5 commerce subjects so far, but I am able to do third year finance subjects (as they only have FINS1613 as a prereq, and I did that last semester).

3 spots , 300-400 applications ---> Chances of getting it? Small.
    1. Noone forced you to do a double degree.
    2. You seem to come up with these number of applicants out of thin air.
    3. You are so negative that you are determined to prove to us that all these programs are unfairly biased against you in odds and hence don't bother trying- yet you whine about their selection criteria and the fortunes of those who were selected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2006-09 UNSW B Commerce Accounting, Finance
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

Back in the day I would have asked you to please give me rep by clicking .

HSC

Re: Various Commerce Degrees - Pros/Cons, Student Experiences

@twistedrebel: Who said I was doing it solely for the money?

Yes, you could earn more doing full time work at McDonalds, but that's not the point. $16 000 for going to university, who will complain about that? Who cares if you have to do work in the university holidays, that's meant to be the whole point of a scholarship. Then once you finish your degree you can basically slip straight into a graduate position if you have shown yourself to be a ood worker throughout your work experience.
    co op gurantee you a job whne you graduate, tbh make it worse. A firm knows it cannot keep you (you have your next placement).

if you were a summer vacationer you have a better chance of staying on/being a grad position. Many vac's have been offered grad roles (even thought they have 1 year to go) because they have done well in the summer. Also at my current job I have potiential to earn more than co op (plenty of work, depends on me when i m available) and CAREER progression. If i graduate I would back myself to be a manager when there is a opening (like my current manager).

HSC

yeah so say there is 5 finance co ops (UNSW only uni that offers co op). ANd how many graduate positions? think big 4 commerical banks, big 4 consulting, many mid tiers for both, many other large corporations who need finance grads etc. There will be ATLEAST 200-300+ grad positions in finance in sydney alone

HSC

Yes, you could earn more doing full time work at McDonalds, but that's not the point. $16 000 for going to university, who will complain about that? Who cares if you have to do work in the university holidays, that's meant to be the whole point of a scholarship. Then once you finish your degree you can basically slip straight into a graduate position if you have shown yourself to be a ood worker throughout your work experience.
    If your marks were as good as you make them out to be you'd be getting $10K a year from scientia scholarship.
    Stop complaining just because you didn't try hard enough to be a prefect/get a coop/get an internship or whatever else you're bitter about.

Are you matty g?

Banned
    HSC
    N/A

@tambam: You can only get the Scientia scholarship if you are straight from high school. Requirements state you need 99.9ATAR. You can get a WAM of 95 in your first year and still be exclude from that scholarship.

Also who's "matty g"?

Banned
    HSC
    N/A

I just did a search on the scholarships website and it looks like the only academic scholarships you can get are based on your ATAR, none of them consider your university results. I have seen tons of people get 99ATARs in high school and then crash to pass/credit WAM in university.

Exalted Member
    HSC

I will just say one more thing. Look at the UNSW scholarship and Co op website for past scholarship winners. Out of like 20 profiles they have up , 17 people are from selective/private schools. Seems pretty biased to me....

It's always good seeing the pictures of the rich private school kids on Co op in all their suits and such...
    LOLLLLLL im guessing the reason why you didnt get an interview was because your application wasnt that great? Judging by your sore loser attitude I'm not surprised you didnt get an interview
    Baulkham Hills 2006-2011
    Bachelor of Commerce (Co-op) Majoring in Actuarial Studies - UNSW 2012-2015

For all your tutoring needs, visit: www.encompasseducation.com.au

HSC

@tambam: You can only get the Scientia scholarship if you are straight from high school. Requirements state you need 99.9ATAR. You can get a WAM of 95 in your first year and still be exclude from that scholarship.

Also who's "matty g"?
    Then you should have tried harder to 99.9.
    & Universities have no incentive to give you a scholarship, they're given to first years to convince them to go there in the first place.

HSC

I just did a search on the scholarships website and it looks like the only academic scholarships you can get are based on your ATAR, none of them consider your university results. I have seen tons of people get 99ATARs in high school and then crash to pass/credit WAM in university.
    you probably didnt get the scholarship because they had a bad feeling about you from the interview.
    Quote Originally Posted by muhahahahahaha View Post
    Wow same asshole as always Lolsmith, sorry not all of us are capable of shoving half of australia's food supply down our throat.

Exalted Member
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by halapenyo View Post
    you probably didnt get the scholarship because they had a bad feeling about you from the interview.
    hahah this would be so true but he didnt even get an interview (for obvious reasons)
    Baulkham Hills 2006-2011

Banned
    HSC
    N/A

@hala: well I didn't even get an interview.

Anyway, I am off to study for final exams. I think this thread has filled with more than enough off topic discussion.

HSC

Very unique attitude you've got there mate.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Lets relax.
    BCom (Accounting) / LLB @ UNSW

HSC

@fortune_cookie.

My brother received a co-op scholarship in mechatronic engineering starting 2010. he only received an atar of 97.3, no band 6 in phys, chem or any maths, didn't come from a private sydney school(as we don't live in sydney), and he wasnt a prefect.
    Last edited by Azure; 26 May 2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Be nice.
    ~

Banned
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by michaeljennings View Post
    hahah this would be so true but he didnt even get an interview (for obvious reasons)
    coincidence that your sig says you went to top ranked school and got Co op?

Banned
    HSC
    N/A

Man, if only I was an abo. Those guys get it even better than Co op. All of the Indigenous Australia's Scholarships are at least $10 000/yr , some of them go up to $20 000/yr.

Lucky bastards.

Exalted Member
    HSC

coincidence that your sig says you went to top ranked school and got Co op?
    I was only 1 of 2 people from my school to get a co-op scholarship. Neither of us were prefects..

Man, if only I was an abo. Those guys get it even better than Co op. All of the Indigenous Australia's Scholarships are at least $10 000/yr , some of them go up to $20 000/yr.

Lucky bastards.
    Yes it is quite lucky that most aboriginals suffer from diabetes, alcohol abuse, drug abuse and suffer unemployment rates far greater than non-indigenous people. Yes they certainly do have an easy life.
    Baulkham Hills 2006-2011

Banned
    HSC
    N/A

"Yes it is quite lucky that most aboriginals suffer from diabetes, alcohol abuse, drug abuse and suffer unemployment rates far greater than non-indigenous people. Yes they certainly do have an easy life. "

No one forces them to get drunk and sniff petrol. Those scholarships are only (weakly) based on academics. If I was an abo then I could have easily got it. Why do people get $20 000/yr just because they are abo, that is just complete bullshit.

Banned
    HSC
    N/A

"I was only 1 of 2 people from my school to get a co-op scholarship."

That's still pretty good considering the average school gets no Co ops. Remember, they still have to make places for people from James Ruse, Sydney Boys/Girls, etc ....

HSC
    Uni Grad

"I was only 1 of 2 people from my school to get a co-op scholarship."

That's still pretty good considering the average school gets no Co ops. Remember, they still have to make places for people from James Ruse, Sydney Boys/Girls, etc ....
    This thread is starting to get a bit old now but despite your belief that certain schools get not just preference but reserved spots, you couldn't be further from the truth.

2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2006-09 UNSW B Commerce Accounting, Finance
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

Back in the day I would have asked you to please give me rep by clicking .

HSC
    Uni Grad

So much resentment in this thread.
    BCom (Accounting) / LLB @ UNSW

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by i-insomnia View Post
    So I gather liberal studies/international is pretty useless then ..
    I disagree. I think learning about international relations can be an extremely useful combination with a Commerce degree. I'm doing Arts/Law right now and in the Arts component i'm intending to complete majors in International Relations and Philosophy.

International relations not only teaches you how the world works, but it teaches you how states transact and interact, how states get involved in deals and treaties (which I have found to be pretty much the rules of contract negotiation). The things you learn in an international relations major about international organisations, institutions and transnational corporations and how they interact with each others, as well as the goals of states etc., goes far beyond the theories of IR and can be applicable to a business situation - just change states/international organisations/institutions with corporations, it's exactly the same procedure. Complemented with a commerce degree this would be extremely useful, you have a technical framework to complement an ideological one. Unfortunately, on its own, a liberal arts education is sadly and wrongfully undervalued in this country.
    Last edited by alstah; 27 May 2012 at 6:22 PM.
    B.A. , LL.B. (Syd) '16

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by johnys View Post
    Can economic analysis reliably predict anything though?
    In a science if what is observed does not correlate to theory then the theory is ripped down and started again, instead of getting the basics right economists build their 'complex' models on top of foundations that are meaningless ideological constructs. A market comprised of millions of 'rational' people who consider every single opportunity cost based on a hypothetical measurement of 'utility' when making every decision, sounds about right.. Every speculative bubble in history is a testament to the failure of the 'market', too much government intervention in the 'market? The GFC, they say not enough government intervention in the 'market'!
    Not to mention the idea of equilibrium is built on a world operating under fixed currency systems based on taxation and distribution, where in reality sovereign currency governments have no constraint on expenditure.. Socially optimal? More like ideologically socially optimal based on theoretical economies that existed 40 years ago.
    You've clearly never studied economics.

There are essentially two branches of economics: mathematical and political. The only difference between the two is where they start. Mathematical starts with assumptions about the world, builds a model and extrapolates upon this with tweaks to the the underlying assumptions, creating an ever more complex model that better represents reality. Political economics, meanwhile, starts with an observation of the world and comes up with an theory to explain it. More observations are added and the model refined until some basic maths can be wrung from it or the model can help predict future behaviour. Both are entirely valid to the world around you, if for no other reason than everyone else is listening to the results and acting upon them, so you'll fuck yourself over by not listening as well. The fundemental problem is that you can't create a model that could perfectly map and predict behaviour by humans, because a model is supposed to be a simplification of the real world. Humans are so complex that any model that did them justice would be more complex than the world it is supposed to be modelling, and thus no longer a model.

Also, biology and medicine are commonly labelled as branches of science, yet they can not predict the future path of evolution nor disease, respectively, any better than economics can predict the behaviour of humans and the economy.
    MEcon @ UNSW I

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information