Various Commerce Degrees - Pros/Cons, Student Experiences (1 Viewer)

i-insomnia

HSC
- Straight Bachelor of Commerce
- Commerce (International) - I heard this was just a glorified Liberal studies degree? What do you get out of it (over a straight Commerce deg), or is it just for the additional kick with not much use otherwise?
- Commerce (Liberal studies) - same as above, any use? or just for fun (the liberal component)
- Commerce/Economics
- Commerce/Law

Also what commerce major do you guys do, and what do you think of it?

DforDANNY

HSC
Uni Grad
Here's the PDF version of the UG guidebook for 2013 applicants
http://www.asb.unsw.edu.au/futurestudents/Documents/ASB_UG_2013_web.pdf

I know you didn't list down a straight B.Ec, but from first semester compared to a B.Comm
- compulsory level 1 math-orientated subject (~2u) compared to a management subject (essays - including a 2500 word)
- can still complete any B.Comm major as a 2nd major

Current plan: B.Ec (Fin/Fin Ec)
starting my finance major next semester so I can't shed any light on how it is. I'll leave it to those completing the other degrees to give you insight into it

HSC
N/A
Liberal arts is just crap. It's for all the dumb people that want a Business degree even though they are terrible at mathematics. If you are hopeless with numbers, you do Liberal Arts. It's much like a commerce degree with a major in Marketing or Management. It looks like a business degree but it's just a ton of essays and fluffy words.

Commerce (Liberal Arts) is just an arts degree disguised as a business degree. I seriously don't know why they offer it. Probably to give them slightly better job prospects that a straight out arts degree?

i-insomnia

HSC
So I gather liberal studies/international is pretty useless then ..
Is it just me, or does anyone else think doing just a straight B.Com (or B.Eco?) seem kind of like a bit of a waste? Maybe because there's so many combined courses offered with it as an option..

So for B.Com, in the 1st year you don't pick anything right? Like you try out all four (?) core courses, and then do you then choose a major in your 2nd year or something? Are you able to double major or anything? For example, accounting/finance or accounting/actuarial studies?

ALSO; What is the difference between doing Finance under a Commerce degree as opposed to an Economics degree?

HSC
N/A
So I gather liberal studies/international is pretty useless then ...

International & Liberal Studies is the worst combination you could ever pick. It is gauranteed unemployment. Basically, make sure you stay away from all the subjects offered by the school of management. International Business, Human Resource Management and Management are just crap.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think doing just a straight B.Com (or B.Eco?) seem kind of like a bit of a waste? Maybe because there's so many combined courses offered with it as an option

I don't see what is the waste with doing a straight B Comm. Just because you can do double degrees, doesn't mean you should. Is it really going to make you that much more employable? Also, think of the extra time you spend at university and the fees.

Are you able to double major or anything? For example, accounting/finance or accounting/actuarial studies?
I am fairly sure you can do a double major in pretty much anything. A major is just counted as 48 units of credit (8 standard subjects). If you do 8 subjects in accounting and 8 subjects in finance, it is counted as a double major.

ALSO; What is the difference between doing Finance under a Commerce degree as opposed to an Economics degree?

It makes no difference. A major in finance just means you did 8 finance subjects.

Last edited:

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
Not precisely, the Commerce liberal studies let you complete 3 commerce major as opposed to two in the straight B Com. You still have the core courses of any major compare to a person doing straight B Com.

Commerce International is for those that also like international studies and its branches like Politics. Its completely stupid if you first think about it because it takes 4years to complete so might as well do Comm/arts and get two degrees. The good thing about this degree is you get the same priviledge as an international studies student because you get to go on exchange for a year- so if you really want to study abroad this is for you.

Comm/Eco is a waste, 4 years all 3 major is in business, but when you graduate you're only using 1 or two to get your job anyway.
Comm/Law we all get the point

it is not a waste because with the majority of undergraduates doing a business degree, diversification helps you stand out.
In first year there's core courses but you still have to pick which ones you do each semester, because some are offered in different semester and stuff.
Ye you pick your major in second year but if you already know what you want you can tailor your degree to suit your major in first year.
Yep you can double major.

HSC
N/A
The good thing about this degree is you get the same priviledge as an international studies student because you get to go on exchange for a year- so if you really want to study abroad this is for you.
Wait a minute. So, not only do all these arts students get to bludge at university on 12hr/week timetables. They get to go overseas and bludge as well. Man, those arts/libral arts/international business/international relations students really do it tough.

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
Wait a minute. So, not only do all these arts students get to bludge at university on 12hr/week timetables. They get to go overseas and bludge as well. Man, those arts/libral arts/international business/international relations students really do it tough.
Umm if you think of it that way it's up to you. but I can asure you studying abroad is not bludging and it is very highly regarded by employers.

HSC
N/A
Umm if you think of it that way it's up to you. but I can asure you studying abroad is not bludging and it is very highly regarded by employers.
I guess it gives the bludging art whores a new flavour of dick when they go out the nightclubs oversea and whore themselves. Some extra variety is always good :p

ct92

HSC
I'm doing Commerce and Economics, and I chose that so I could do three majors (Finance, Business Law and Economics). My reasoning wasn't career-based, and the extra time at university didn't factor into it. I just liked the look of all three, and saw a way I could do them all. I think they give me a nice mix of quantitative and qualitative subjects each semester.

Looking back, it might have been nice to have the option for an exchange, but when I started university it definitely wasn't something I would have been interested in. I guess there's always time to work abroad when I graduate.

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
lol don't do comm (lib studies) if you want something useful, it's a waste of time but fun.
if you want something useful, go with comm/eco or comm/eng

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I did straight Commerce but used my spare time to work and get experience, as well as extra curricular activities and societies.

I don't see what is the waste with doing a straight B Comm. Just because you can do double degrees, doesn't mean you should. Is it really going to make you that much more employable? Also, think of the extra time you spend at university and the fees.
Agreed. That's the exact message I tell everyone particularly those from selective high schools who feel compelled to make use of their ATAR and do law even if they have no interest in it.

After all, a mediocre law student isn't going to fare much better than a straight Commerce student and may even end up in the same job but a few years later.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Commerce/Law
+ Develop analytical skills
+ More interactive classes
+ Ability to branch into different sectors
+ Competitive environment
+ Closer group of people
+ Contact hours
- Lots of reading
- Stressful
- Hard to attain top marks because of calibre of learned friends

i-insomnia

HSC
Thanks for the input guys :) Very helpful!

But do employers tend to favour those with combined degrees over those with only single ones? Like you said, business is a highly competitive industry at the moment.
Say someone did straight B. Com with awesome grades, say average HDs and Ds, whereas another did Com/Eco with average Ds and Cs, who will appear to be more employable?

Doing Com/Eco gives you three majors right?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, I'd say the person with Commerce with high grades.

And Com/Eco gives two majors. You may apply to do three - but I'd check with the handbook. Most double degrees only allow for two majors, one in each degree, iirc.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
There is a difference in doing a FINS major in Commerce and Economics.

To do a FINS major in commerce you just need 48 UOC in FINS Course.

However, for an economics degree, you can only major FINS as a second major after majoring in an economics major.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the input guys :) Very helpful!

But do employers tend to favour those with combined degrees over those with only single ones? Like you said, business is a highly competitive industry at the moment.
Say someone did straight B. Com with awesome grades, say average HDs and Ds, whereas another did Com/Eco with average Ds and Cs, who will appear to be more employable?

Doing Com/Eco gives you three majors right?
No doubt double degrees give you more options but it's definitely no guarantee of improved employability. If you know how to help a cow give birth and the guy next to you doesn't; does that make you any more employable to an accounting firm? (materially)

You're better off focussing your time and energy on things which you're interested in (e.g. do Comm/Eco if you genuinely want to do Eco as well as two Commerce majors) and extra curricular activities which will help you get a job.

maratyeu

HSC
N/A
No doubt double degrees give you more options but it's definitely no guarantee of improved employability. If you know how to help a cow give birth and the guy next to you doesn't; does that make you any more employable to an accounting firm? (materially)

You're better off focussing your time and energy on things which you're interested in (e.g. do Comm/Eco if you genuinely want to do Eco as well as two Commerce majors) and extra curricular activities which will help you get a job.
"help a cow give birth" = Teamwork skills? Able to perform in stressful situations? Good small talk topic?

But yeah in the end all you need are EC's. Everyone has a piece of paper these days.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
^ the challenge is having relevant ECs and showing how they make you more suitable for the job you're applying for.

HSC
N/A
^ the challenge is having relevant ECs and showing how they make you more suitable for the job you're applying for.
The people with all the ECs and leadership opportunities get everything sweet. They bloody get all the scholarships and interships throughout university, then they get all the jobs when they graduate. They bloody get paid to go to university. UNSW Co op $15 000 a year for going to university, I bloody want that. Get into Co op and you are basically set for life, Co op becomes your EC. Unfortunately, they always go to some snob private school kids, the rich helping the rich :|. Man, this is bullshit! All because some tossers in Human Resources seem to think that people with ECs are SO MUCH better. I work my ass off at university and I get stuff all, no scholarships and it will be very difficult for me to get a job (even though I have pretty good marks and know the material well).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)