FINS electives; wealth or SAV? (1 Viewer)

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
- keeping in mind that I'm neutral (no preference on content) between both subjects, should I do wealth mgmt or SAV?
- if I only plan on using my accounting major in the future, will doing either subjects make a difference to me?
- I'm also doing ACF next semester, will doing SAV be a bit too much to handle? I've heard that both subjects have a lot of content but I've also heard that there's a lot of overlap between the two subjects
- does SAV or wealth involve more work during the semester (from mid-sems, assessments etc) without respect to the difficulty of the content?

any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
SAV is very useful if you are looking to do Investment Banking. I haven't done either but my friends who have preferred Wealth Management as the content is more straight forward. They thought it was more interesting too.

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
I haven't done either yet but I've talked to more than a dozen people about those two courses to figure out my plan.

SAV is considered the most difficult fins course. It's actually an extremely relevant course in a practical, financial sense. It's a lot harder than ACF (I'm doing it next sem too!), but there is overlap; you'll even hear some people recommend you to do SAV before ACF, because ACF will seem so much easier after. ACF tends to get mixed reviews re:difficulty - I find that people who are mathsy, and/or did very well in 4u in HSC will say that ACF is 'relatively easy', but even those people will say SAV is pretty hard. People who are genuinely interested in following the financial path or genuinely interested in finance will tell you that SAV is interesting, because it is actually practical; will probably also help in personal investing in the future.

Wealth management is easy content but can be shitly taught + heaps of stuff to memorise, hence people can still get mediocre marks despite it being 'easy' (easy to get =/= easy to get out in exams/assessments - think of any other content-heavy subjects. Do you prefer calculations or actual writing? Mathematically-inclined people will generally say 'don't do it'/'stay away'. One person likened it to MARK1012). Others will call it a wam booster (learn everything properly/don't be complacent). Might be considered useful (re: concepts taught applicable to life), but when compared to other electives people will generally say 'it's not worth doing' (though this is in a financial sense) (unless you're doing it because you've heard it's a WAM booster) or 'useless' (unless you're planning to do wealth mgmt 2 as well, but that would lead you towards a financial planner path).

If you were going into quantitative finance I would definitely recommend SAV, but if you're set on going into accounting... I don't really know what matters to you, but hope that was of some help :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)