2nd year finance maths (1 Viewer)

106mikey

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

I finished my first year in a Bcomm - Accounting last year at Macquarie and will be transferring to UNSW to do a double major in Accounting and Finance this year. I was concerned at the start of my first finance unit last semester that i would struggle, because i dropped maths in year 10 and didn't even know what algebra was, let alone how to do it (tru story). Anyway, i ended up with a mark of 89 for finance which was my highest for the year and i was quite pleased to say the least.

As we approach the new uni year, i am starting to have the same worries about the maths content. I aced my stats/econ/finance subjects at 100 level, but i'm concerned that i might not be able to handle the heat of 200 level mathematics for my finance subjects. What do you guys think? I work hard as a motherfucker, which allowed me to get through last year's content with ease, should i be okay this time around too, provided i work my ass off?

I'm aiming for 2 or 3 HDs this semester, so harder maths content might make this a challenge. . .

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
As quoted by a great student and friend of mine, "The 'maths' in Finance is a joke."

He did third year finance and it's basically still plugging numbers into equations or basic year 7 algebraic rearranging of equations to solve for certain variables.

I did second year finance and can partially confirm his comments.

106mikey

HSC
N/A
That sounds reassuring.

What do you think are the easiest vs most challenging 200 level finance units?

Edit: I'm not looking to just do the easiest subjects, i just want an even workload across semesters.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, there's only three "Level 2" Finance courses.

FINS2624 (Portfolio Management)
FINS2643 (Wealth Management)
FINS2622 (Emerging Capital Markets)

Now I did the first one and that was quite mathsy (for finance) and that's based more on pricing bonds and stuff, I have friends who did the second one and they said that's... easier. Met no one doing the last one though.

So I listed them in what I believe is hardest to easiest, unfortunately the top one is a compulsory course.

crazy_paki123

HSC
106mikey, im transferring to b comm (accounting and finance) at UNSW from Mac Uni too haha

106mikey

HSC
N/A
Nice! Good luck!

I was hoping my uni marks would be enough to get me in, though now I've been informed that they actually factor in your ATAR as well, even after the first year of uni is complete, and my ATAR is awful so now i'm not so confident.

106mikey

HSC
N/A
Yep, got an offer... Not sure if i will take it yet though.

crazy_paki123

HSC
omg me too man. im so undecided, but since im doing fin and accounting which takes 4 years at mac uni, which takes 3 yrs at unsw. so it makes sense to go. also ive asked a few people now and they said if u can get a D in Mac Uni, you can get a D in UNSW which sealed it for me. we can go together haha

106mikey

HSC
N/A
I accepted my offer, i think we can claim credit on everything except for FINS1613 because that is a 200 level at MQ.

What units are you taking?

106mikey

HSC
N/A
So far only decided on FINS1613 and ACCT 2522. I noticed u chose ECON1102... is that because we have to do one more 'flexible core course' from first year? Because we have finished FINS 1612 but for some reason that doesn't count as a core elective, but it IS a prerequisite to study finance...

So if you were to study finance at UNSW starting year 1 you would need to study..... acct1501, econ1101, econ1203, mgmt1001, four flexible core courses AND fins1612 because it isn't a flexible core course... which is 9 units in one year?

So confused lol.

Alkanes

HSC
So far only decided on FINS1613 and ACCT 2522. I noticed u chose ECON1102... is that because we have to do one more 'flexible core course' from first year? Because we have finished FINS 1612 but for some reason that doesn't count as a core elective, but it IS a prerequisite to study finance...

So if you were to study finance at UNSW starting year 1 you would need to study..... acct1501, econ1101, econ1203, mgmt1001, four flexible core courses AND fins1612 because it isn't a flexible core course... which is 9 units in one year?

So confused lol.
Have no idea what you're talking about but you will need to have completed the compulsory core courses + flexible cores by the end of your degree. FINS1612 is one of the subjects you need to do in order to major in finance.

106mikey

HSC
N/A
Yeah, the reason i was curious was because i'm getting credit for the 4 core courses, 2 of the flexible core courses AND FINS1612. I thought that would leave me with only one extra unit to complete for the year (FINS1613), but if FINS1612 isn't a flexible core course then that means i need to take one MORE flexible core course on top of FINS1613, right?

So if FINS1612 isn't a core unit or a flexible core unit, what is it?

crazy_paki123

HSC
alrighty. you need to do the compulsory courses which weve done. we now need to do 4 flexible cores. weve done 2 (marketing and accounting 1b) meaning we must choose 2 more. I chose ECON1102 because i like economics lol. and FINS1613 because it is a prerequisite for the next finance subjects. i chose acct2522 cause i thought i might as well do a 2nd year accounting subject now. apparently its easy too. So thats ECON1102, FINS1613 and ACCT2522. Finally since youve done FINS1612 you can choose to do FINS2622 or an elective. Since we have to 2 subjects that are General Education courses i decided to GENM0703, which is basically Health, physical activity and exercise (apparently its easy). so basically you can do either an elective or FINS2622.

crazy_paki123

HSC
FINS1612 is a compulsory unit for the Finance major. Go to the finance major stream and you will see FINS1612 is compulsory.

crazy_paki123

HSC
and yes you must do another flexible core unit with FINS1613, i chose econ1102

106mikey

HSC
N/A
Yeah okay, i was hoping that wasn't the case, damn it! Guess it's summer school 2014/2015 for me!

Thanks.

106mikey

HSC
N/A
Need 144 UOC to graduate, that's 48 a year. So far we have completed 36 for year 1 (4 compulsory core, 2 flexible core), we need to do 2 more flexi-core to have completed 48 UOC for year one.

Since we are doing those 2 extra flexible cores to fix up our first year in year 2, that means by the time we finish this year we will once again have only completed 36 UOC for second year. Unless u wanna delay your graduation 6 months we would need to make those up in summer school, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)