FINS1613 vs MGMT1001 (1 Viewer)

mreditor16

HSC
So with those two subjects, will I be fine with doing MGMT first sem and FINS second sem? I've heard a lot about getting FINS done first sem, but still don't properly get why etc.

Some insights please.

Main reason I am planning on sticking with this is I am looking for 3 day timetable and number of FINS timeslots left is horrendously low - http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/2015/FINS1613.html

Also, a few friends said to get MGMT out of the way when things are the lightest / easiest (i.e. first sem) but opinions on this would be good. However, I want to get MGMT done in first year, since I am doing b actl with b comm, and actl gets even more insane 2nd year on etc.

idk these are my thoughts. I need some of urs. :)

thanks

mreditor16

HSC
also I've heard about assessments and lecturers being shitter in different sems. some info on that would be good! :)

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad
FINS1613 is better in SEM1 for the following reasons:

- Very good and engaging lecturer who loves to give extra marks for most quizzes, homework and the final exam
- Course is all MC and all the class quizzes are pretty straightforward so easy marks there
- If you can add, subtract, multiply and divide, the quantitative parts of the course should be very simple (70% of the course is quantitative anyways)
- Can be of slight help for ACTL1101 in SEM2
- Much easier to D/HD in SEM1 than SEM2

I heard FINS1613 in SEM2 is treated differently, since there is a different lecturer in charge and the assessments are not all MC q's i.e. includes short answer etc. and that the actual course tends to be harder since assessments are not as easy as SEM1

MGMT1001 is not the best course (it is an essay writing based course), I did it in SEM2 and regretted it, probably should have left it till 3rd/4th year. It has no relevance to any other course you do for your degree and can be huge WAM killer since assessments are marked strictly.

If you can squeeze in a FINS1613 timeslot for SEM1 then you should probably do it in SEM1, most people I know doing ACTL/COMM did FINS1613 instead of MGMT1001 in SEM1 first year. If you cannot, then do MGMT1001 and get it out of the way. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

mreditor16

HSC
FINS1613 is better in SEM1 for the following reasons:

- Very good and engaging lecturer (for the first 8 or so weeks)
- Course is all MC and the all class quizzes are pretty straightforward so easy marks there
- If you can add, subtract, multiply and divide, the quantitative parts of the course should be very simple (70% of the course is quantitative anyways)
- Can slightly be of help for ACTL1101 in SEM2

MGMT1001 is not the best course (it is an essay writing based course), I did it in SEM2 and regretted it, probably should have left it till 3rd/4th year. It has no relevance to any other course you do for your degree and can be huge WAM killer since assessments are marked strictly.

If you can squeeze in a FINS1613 timeslot for SEM1 then you should probably do it in SEM1, most people I know doing ACTL/COMM do FINS1613 instead of MGMT1001 in SEM1 first year. If you cannot, then do MGMT1001 and get it out of the way. Hope it helps.
makes sense thanks a lot :)

as to the bolded part, if it is a wam killer, does it then really matter when you do it? and if u leave it to 3rd and 4th year, when actl units are hard and intense, then wont u have less time for it and then do even worse?

but I do see the benefits of doing fins first sem, but the thing is shitty timeslots are available, esp more because I want to get a three day timetable, and mgmt easily allows that....

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad
I guess it doesn't really matter since everyone has to do it at some stage, but since the course is of huge inconvenience most people tend to do the more important/common courses earlier and leave MGMT for later years since finance in general plays its part in ACTL courses. Also, since you are ACTL/COMM as opposed to just standard COMM or COMM/LAW etc. etc. it is probably better to leave it for later years. But the choice is up to you. Doing FINS1613 in second year SEM1 is common amongst second year COMM students so you won't be at any sort of disadvantage, it is just that the majority of Combined ACTL kids do FINS1613 in SEM1 first year.

Last edited:

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I'm contemplating on FINS1613 (Business Finance), FINS1612 (Capital Markets) and TABL1710 (Business Law) as electives for my program.

Hear that FINS1613 is more quantitative and FINS1612 is more qualitative (but more introductory as well). Also, avoid FINS1613 in Sem 2 as much as possible haha.

Heard that TABL1710 is good too, interesting topics + good lecturer and thus I'm leaning towards this. Has anyone else done this or have their thoughts on this?

mreditor16

HSC
I guess it doesn't really matter since everyone has to do it at some stage, but since the course is of huge inconvenience most people tend to do the more important/common courses earlier and leave MGMT for later years since finance in general plays its part in ACTL courses. Also, since you are ACTL/COMM as opposed to just standard COMM or COMM/LAW etc. etc. it is probably better to leave it for later years. But the choice is up to you. Doing FINS1613 in second year SEM1 is common amongst second year COMM students so you won't be at any sort of disadvantage, it is just that the majority of Combined ACTL kids do FINS1613 in SEM1 first year.
how the hell will actl students get fins done first sem with such limited timeslots available? http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/2015/MGMT1001.html vs http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/2015/FINS1613.html

omni16

HSC
Christ, how is there such little spots left for the course when offers for first year students haven't even come out yet?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Christ, how is there such little spots left for the course when offers for first year students haven't even come out yet?
some people drop/change courses and additional time slots are sometimes added to accommodate for more students

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad
how the hell will actl students get fins done first sem with such limited timeslots available? http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/2015/MGMT1001.html vs http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/2015/FINS1613.html
Hmm, this is strange because when I enrolled in it in late Feb last year, there were way more free classes and I still ended up getting a good timeslot (same with a lot of other first year ACTL kids). I don't know if they will open more classes for it soon or if that there are A LOT of 2nd/3rd years who all of a sudden just wanted to do 1613 in SEM1 this year. Also keep in mind people drop out and swap courses so that might open up some space. Don't do 1613 this SEM if your tutorial ends up being on a free day and you have to go to uni for 1hr just for that. If that's the case (or something along those lines) then you probably be better off doing MGMT this SEM1 and getting it out of the way, then doing 1613 in SEM1 2nd year. As I said, you won't be at a disadvantage by doing 1613 in 2nd year, it's all good :)

mreditor16

HSC
Hmm, this is strange because when I enrolled in it in late Feb last year, there were way more free classes and I still ended up getting a good timeslot (same with a lot of other first year ACTL kids). I don't know if they will open more classes for it or if that there are A LOT of 2nd/3rd years who all of a sudden just wanted to do 1613 in SEM1 this year. I mean don't do 1613 this SEM if your tutorial ends up being on a free day and you have to go to uni for 1hr just for that. If that's the case (or something along those lines) then you probably be better off doing MGMT this SEM1 and getting it out of the way, then doing 1613 in SEM1 2nd year. As I said, you won't be at a disadvantage by doing 1613 in 2nd year, it's all good :)
yep makes sense. thanks so much. i'll just do FINS in sem 2 first year. and MGMT this sem :)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I hope this is true.
can confirm

I was going to enroll into MMAN2130 this semester but it filled up very quickly and gg no spots but a few days later, they increased the class sizes and added a few more time slots

not sure about comm courses but mech do it :D

omni16

HSC
can confirm

I was going to enroll into MMAN2130 this semester but it filled up very quickly and gg no spots but a few days later, they increased the class sizes and added a few more time slots
Ah alright, well that's great news. It's a first year subject, it would be pretty strange if there was only such a limited amount of spots left for us.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Ah alright, well that's great news. It's a first year subject, it would be pretty strange if there was only such a limited amount of spots left for us.
but from above, they might open new spots and you still can't get in so you will have to do it in a later year

good luck though :D

hypermax

HSC
N/A
So with those two subjects, will I be fine with doing MGMT first sem and FINS second sem? I've heard a lot about getting FINS done first sem, but still don't properly get why etc.

Some insights please.

Main reason I am planning on sticking with this is I am looking for 3 day timetable and number of FINS timeslots left is horrendously low - http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/2015/FINS1613.html

Also, a few friends said to get MGMT out of the way when things are the lightest / easiest (i.e. first sem) but opinions on this would be good. However, I want to get MGMT done in first year, since I am doing b actl with b comm, and actl gets even more insane 2nd year on etc.

idk these are my thoughts. I need some of urs. :)

thanks

How many time slots left for FINS1613 roughly.

omni16

HSC
makes sense thanks a lot :)

as to the bolded part, if it is a wam killer, does it then really matter when you do it? and if u leave it to 3rd and 4th year, when actl units are hard and intense, then wont u have less time for it and then do even worse?

but I do see the benefits of doing fins first sem, but the thing is shitty timeslots are available, esp more because I want to get a three day timetable, and mgmt easily allows that....
But wouldn't having MGMT in there with ACTL kinda ease the difficulty i.e. wouldn't having 3 ACTL subs with MGMT be better than 4 straight ACTL subs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)