B.Economics vs Economics majors in B.Commerce (1 Viewer)

clementinez

HSC
N/A
I'm trying to decide what to combine Engineering with and while there are a few options in Science that I'm interested in, I was wondering about the actual difference between a plain Economics major and Business Economics/Business Strategy and Economic Management major in Commerce.
B.Economics can't be combined with Engineering at UNSW. At USYD they offer the regular Economics major as part of the Commerce degree.
What difference is there when you get to the workforce or want to complete Honours? I've noticed the regular Economics major has more advanced micro and macro units.
What is economics like at UNSW?

Last edited:

-Senpai

HSC
Bump

I'm interested in knowing what an economics major is like in a Comm degree (there seems to be 2 - 3 to choose from).

Also I've been hearing things about how an economics degree is worthless without doing honours. Is this true?

si2136

HSC
N/A
Tbh I don't know. The best is to call UNSW. However, I'll try my best to answer this.

In Commerce, there are many majors, so you have a range of options to choose from, including more Economics majors than in the Economics degree itself. In UNSW Commerce, there are more events and opportunities to network with people. Both are highly reputable of course. But it depends on what you want to do tbh. If you just want to do Economics, then stick with Economics.

Notsuree

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm doing Business Economics under the Commerce stream. Under Business Eco, I've done every course that you would do in a normal eco degree, bar ECON1401. So, effectively, I've completed a standard economics degree.

And with Business Eco, you can undertake Honours in either Economics or Business Economics.

In terms of careers, employers understand that there's virtually no difference between Business Eco and a normal economics degree.

-Senpai

HSC
I'm doing Business Economics under the Commerce stream. Under Business Eco, I've done every course that you would do in a normal eco degree, bar ECON1401. So, effectively, I've completed a standard economics degree.

And with Business Eco, you can undertake Honours in either Economics or Business Economics.

In terms of careers, employers understand that there's virtually no difference between Business Eco and a normal economics degree.
How was the difficulty of the major compared to other subjects you completed?

clementinez

HSC
N/A

Oh, ok.. good. So it keeps your options open for Honours. Don't want to get into something too specific early on.
Did you have a particular reason for choosing UNSW over USYD for economics?

Notsuree

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm doing finance and business eco, and have found neither particularly challenging. It's probably slightly easier to score higher in eco because of fewer group assignments (vs. finance). Being quantitatively inclined helps a lot in economics (and finance).

Also, after doing the introductory and intermediary courses in economics, you have the flexibility to do level 3 courses in any area you want (i.e. microeconomics, macroeconomics, econometrics etc). So, if you are stronger in a particular area, like micro, you can just take micro related courses. This can make the economics major easier in some sense.

Notsuree

HSC
Uni Grad
For Commerce/Economics, UNSW and USYD are virtually indistinguishable. I don't think the same can be said for engineering, but you'll need to consult with others.

clementinez

HSC
N/A
I'm doing finance and business eco, and have found neither particularly challenging. It's probably slightly easier to score higher in eco because of fewer group assignments (vs. finance). Being quantitatively inclined helps a lot in economics (and finance).

Also, after doing the introductory and intermediary courses in economics, you have the flexibility to do level 3 courses in any area you want (i.e. microeconomics, macroeconomics, econometrics etc). So, if you are stronger in a particular area, like micro, you can just take micro related courses. This can make the economics major easier in some sense.
Thanks for the input.
Do you happen to know whether a double major is allowed in combined Commerce (specifically combined with engineering but also generally speaking)? I'd be interested in double majoring in the majors you're doing.

clementinez

HSC
N/A
For Commerce/Economics, UNSW and USYD are virtually indistinguishable. I don't think the same can be said for engineering, but you'll need to consult with others.
The general consensus seems to be UNSW > USYD for engineering although I've noticed the Civil programs to be very similar aside from UNSW pushing more compulsory water units. CS is probably where the biggest difference is.

Notsuree

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the input.
Do you happen to know whether a double major is allowed in combined Commerce (specifically combined with engineering but also generally speaking)? I'd be interested in double majoring in the majors you're doing.
I don't think you can double major when doing Comm/Engo. If you combine Comm with Law, then you can potentially double major.

Also, if you're looking at IB/MC, then Comm/Engo (with a single Comm major) is a very strong degree. But if you are considering economics-related fields (e.g. RBA, economics consulting, etc), then doing Comm/Eco and potentially Eco Honours may be more appropriate.

matchalolz

HSC
Is triple majoring across commerce/economics at unsw a bit excessive or would it be wiser to stick to two? I have my eye on finance, accounting & econometrics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leehuan

HSC
Is triple majoring across commerce/economics at unsw a bit excessive or would it be wiser to stick to two? I have my eye on finance, accounting & econometrics

Do you want to stay at uni that much longer?

-Senpai

HSC

Not so much excessive (I know a few people who did it and said it was pretty manageable if you work on all three majors simulatenously) but it will extend your degree further which is up to you considering your current employment status

clementinez

HSC
N/A
I don't think you can double major when doing Comm/Engo. If you combine Comm with Law, then you can potentially double major.

Also, if you're looking at IB/MC, then Comm/Engo (with a single Comm major) is a very strong degree. But if you are considering economics-related fields (e.g. RBA, economics consulting, etc), then doing Comm/Eco and potentially Eco Honours may be more appropriate.
I sent a message to UNSW yesterday to check and they told me it is possible to double major in commerce dual mode regardless of what it's combined with. It just takes a bit longer.
I'm not really sure which field I'm interested more, perhaps management consulting or project management in engineering - it's too early to tell haha

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm trying to decide what to combine Engineering with and while there are a few options in Science that I'm interested in, I was wondering about the actual difference between a plain Economics major and Business Economics/Business Strategy and Economic Management major in Commerce.
B.Economics can't be combined with Engineering at UNSW. At USYD they offer the regular Economics major as part of the Commerce degree.
What difference is there when you get to the workforce or want to complete Honours? I've noticed the regular Economics major has more advanced micro and macro units.
What is economics like at UNSW?
well what do you want to do after uni

UNSW is the best place for Commerce and related fields, incl. Economics

matchalolz

HSC
Do you want to stay at uni that much longer?
I have a list of all the subjects I need to do with triple major and one with just a double major. because some things overlap I will actually finish at the same time. Just means I have no electives.

Not so much excessive (I know a few people who did it and said it was pretty manageable if you work on all three majors simulatenously) but it will extend your degree further which is up to you considering your current employment status
See what I wrote above for the length thing. I'm more worried about it being more rigorous because I'm studying 3 different areas. I'm also concerned that future employers will realise that I'm an indecisive fk (which I am) but I'm trying to hide that haha

clementinez

HSC
N/A
well what do you want to do after uni

UNSW is the best place for Commerce and related fields, incl. Economics
Not sure specifically what role if that's what you're asking, just find Economics interesting and FInance useful. I'm considering combining it with Engineering because I don't want a straight engo degree. I'll think about what exactly I want to do when I actually get to uni and start doing the work. I'm sure I'll find some things to live up to expectations and some not so much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)