Buying Textbooks for Semester 1 2017 (1 Viewer)

appleibeats

HSC
Hi,

I was wondering when do most people buy their textbooks for uni. Do they wait till the first lectures and then purchase them or should we buy them before uni begins.

Also where is the best place to purchase the textbooks. I know officially you can buy them from the UNSW bookshop but can I also grab them at the UNSW second hand shop?

Outside of UNSW, i know you can buy textbooks at studentvip but is there anywhere else? I tried coop but after searching UNSW nothing appears. Not sure if they just don't stock UNSW books or am I just too early for this semester.

Thank you.

hoseyy

HSC
Hi, I bought all my textbooks before the semester started but I know a lot of people wait till their first lecture. I personally prefer using textbooks compared to only lecture slides/recordings because sometimes they can be a bit vague and difficult to understand which is why I bought my textbooks before the semester started. It's completely up to you but keep in mind if you wait till the first lecture which many people do and then everyone decides to buy the textbook it might be difficult to find one second hand.

As for second hand textbooks I use the UNSW textbook exchanges, there's one specifically for commerce and a general one where people basically sell second hand textbooks. To join the general one you have to be a member of the UNSW facebook group iirc and i'm not sure if the commerce is the same or if it's a public group.

Hope this helps and welcome to UNSW :)

dirty_ink

HSC
Quite a lot of people seem to buy theirs before the semester begins, but even more buy them around the first week of uni. Not sure if it's just media students, but we seem to just shat all over the textbook requirements and buy them whenever or never at all.

Can't really offer a gold suggestion for where to get textbooks from, but hey, new ones from UNSW bookshop are too satisfying to even entertain other possibilities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)