Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By enoilgam

Thread: Do employers care about what uni you go to and your wam?

Cadet
    HSC

Do employers care about what uni you go to and your wam?

I'm basically asking whether employers care about the uni you go to and your wam. I know that your wam has an affect but I know for a fact that unsw exams tend to be more difficult than other unis e.g. macquarie. Obviously higher difficulty exams mean lower wam and that's what I'm afraid will screw me over.

Thanks.

HSC

Re: Do employers care about what uni you go to and your wam?

are you sure unsw exams are more difficult than macquarie's?

I transferred form macquarie to unsw and my wam at unsw is higher than what it was at macquarie in first year lol...
    BCom acct/fins @UNSW

Cadet
    HSC

Yh I'm fairly sure because my mate transferred from macquarie to unsw and he says that he went from getting 85+ down to 60s lol.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

HSC
    Uni Grad

no direct answer, depends on a case by case basis tbh, much more bigger factors to consider

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    other bos-ers have a penis pic sharing club and i'm debating whether i want in on it or not

~just so i belong~
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    who cares about your timetable - you should be going into uni every day to study and do whatever regardless

HSC

But how can you be fairly sure when there is evidence that the opposite can happen? i.e. in my case having a higher unsw wam than macquarie

I have found the unsw exams a lot easier and requiring less study. But then again it's only commerce. Your friend might have done engineering or something
    BCom acct/fins @UNSW

HSC

Also to answer your question, most employers don't care about which uni you go to. But it is such a coincidence that every AC i've been to have been composed of at least 60-70% from unsw.

Whether they care about wam will depend on exactly what role you're applying for. 70 wam is good for like 95% of roles out there
    Last edited by Confound; 2 Jun 2017 at 9:24 PM.
    BCom acct/fins @UNSW

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by DoYouEvenCheeto View Post
    I'm basically asking whether employers care about the uni you go to and your wam. I know that your wam has an affect but I know for a fact that unsw exams tend to be more difficult than other unis e.g. macquarie. Obviously higher difficulty exams mean lower wam and that's what I'm afraid will screw me over.
    Generally speaking, employers don't care about your university. There are some exceptions to this (MBB and IB), but most modern organisations are more interested in other areas of your CV. The reason this myth continues to remain is because most people who secure graduate roles are from prestige unis. However, this is mainly because prestige unis tend to attract stronger, more serious talent. For example, the ATAR cutoff for UNSW Commerce is around 95, compared to say 60 for Notre Dame. ATAR might not be the best predictor of future success, but it would be fair to argue that the cutoffs ensure that UNSW has a stronger cohort versus ND. Consequentially, UNSW students perform better than ND students by virtue of their ability alone, not the unis prestige. However, it should be noted that top organisations focus their recruitment efforts and campaigns at the prestige unis due to the stronger cohorts which also adds to the overrepresentation.
    mreditor16 likes this.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

HSC
    N/A

If you think UNSW marks hard, you should feel about your usyd commerce or law people. Employers will be aware of this though.
    Medicine at UoN

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by RishBonjour99 View Post
    If you think UNSW marks hard, you should feel about your usyd commerce or law people. Employers will be aware of this though.
    Are you sure employers will actually care about the difficulty in marking between unsw and usyd? Did they tell you this?
    BCom acct/fins @UNSW

HSC
    N/A

pretty sure harder marking at certain unis is a complete myth. After all to retain accreditation they have to hold a certain standard.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Generally 70+ wams are to get your foot in for grad roles. Where you went to uni might help ypu fit into a team once you're there but imo has no bearing on your candidacy.

At my workplace I'm looking for people who are focused, switched on and have a work hard play hard attitude. This will show up in an interview or a conversation.

BHS '05
    B Economics '10 UNSW
    Economics, Finance, RG146
    Lean Six Sigma, Green Belt '15
    Analytics in a Big 4 Bank

Thread Information