Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Lopo
  • 2 Post By snail489
  • 1 Post By snail489

Thread: Actuarial 2018 Sem 1 Subjects

HSC

Actuarial 2018 Sem 1 Subjects

Planning to do actl + maths so just got a few queries.

Not sure how to find out what subjects you do year 1 but I think from the progression plan they are:

ACCT1501
    ACCT1511
    ACTL1101
    ECON1101
    ECON1102
    FINS1613
    MGMT1001
    MATH1151
    MATH1251

So I won't pick MGMT because I heard it's a WAM killer.

Just got some questions:

1) Can you delay MGMT to another year since it says it's compulsory first year course?
    2) Why can't I find ACTL1101 in bojangles? Is it because it is a semester 2 course (according to UNSW timetables) or because bojangles hasn't added it in?
    3) What's a good combination of these subjects to pick for sem 1 (question for current actl+maths students)?

Thanks!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

HSC

Re: Actuarial 2018 Sem 1 Subjects

I can only answer Q1. You can definitely delay MGMT for your first year. I did it and didn't receive any emails asking why.
    pikachu975 likes this.

Cadet
    HSC

here's my recommended WAM-maximisation strat for first year ACTLs:

first year S1: ACCT1501/ECON1101/MATH1151/FINS1613
    first year S2: ACCT1511/ACTL1101/MATH1251/ECON1102

ace ur first sem and apply for exchange, do MGMT1001 on exchange because it wont count to ur marks so u can avoid the WAM killer

and to answer those questions specifically, yes you can delay MGMT1001 as long as u want, provided ur not doing a MGMT major or some shit; i know some fourth year ACTLs who decide to delay MGMT1001 until their very last semester lmao

and yes you won't find ACTL1101 in bojangles timetabler yet because it's a sem 2 only subject, so the actual timetable for that subject isnt even released yet
    pikachu975 and fluffchuck like this.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by snail489 View Post

ace ur first sem and apply for exchange, do MGMT1001 on exchange because it wont count to ur marks so u can avoid the WAM killer

and to answer those questions specifically, yes you can delay MGMT1001 as long as u want, provided ur not doing a MGMT major or some shit; i know some fourth year ACTLs who decide to delay MGMT1001 until their very last semester lmao

and yes you won't find ACTL1101 in bojangles timetabler yet because it's a sem 2 only subject, so the actual timetable for that subject isnt even released yet
    Thanks so much

Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by snail489 View Post

For the advanced science degree (my 2nd degree) when would you recommend doing SCIF

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    For the advanced science degree (my 2nd degree) when would you recommend doing SCIF
    I don't think i can accurately answer that because i'm actl/commerce (finance), not adv sci. But most people I know did the first SCIF course in their first semester (instead of FINS1613, which they delay to either second semester or second year)

Maybe someone else can shed some light on it

actually when i look at the 2018 UNSW handbook (which you should be checking all the time for this btw) I can't even find "SCIF1121" anywhere so i dunno what happened to it lol
    pikachu975 likes this.

HSC

U can delay MGMT for sure, but i dont see the point. You're gonna have to do it at some stage in ur degree, better if u work hard in the first year while is workload is relatively low rather than in the last years where some actls require a distinction average and shit. Also, doing actl1101 before fins1613 apparently helps A LOT in fins1613.
    I personally did mgmt in my first sem and although it was tough, im planning to get a high mark in fins1613. I've also heard acct1501/1511 also helps in fins1613, so that way u can basically guarantee a HD in 1613.
    UNSW

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Killua101 View Post
    U can delay MGMT for sure, but i dont see the point. You're gonna have to do it at some stage in ur degree, better if u work hard in the first year while is workload is relatively low rather than in the last years where some actls require a distinction average and shit. Also, doing actl1101 before fins1613 apparently helps A LOT in fins1613.
    I personally did mgmt in my first sem and although it was tough, im planning to get a high mark in fins1613. I've also heard acct1501/1511 also helps in fins1613, so that way u can basically guarantee a HD in 1613.
    What'd you get in mgmt?

HSC

well lets just say ... low DN
    UNSW

Thread Information