Actuarial at UNSW (1 Viewer)

CrashOveride

HSC
Hey

Any people out there wanting to do a single or combined Actuarial degree at UNSW? Im basically set on this just still a little unsure whether to go with MQ or UNSW...

So convince me :)

Affinity

HSC
Macquarie is a paddock.
Macquarie works your arse off
Macquarie is not is in the go8 http://www.go8.edu.au
Macquarie has a worse maths department.
Macquarie isn't as established
I don't go to Macquarie. :D

Therefore go to UNSW

Last edited:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Affinity said:
1.Macquarie is a paddock.
2.Macquarie works your arse off
3.Macquarie is not is in the go8 http://www.go8.edu.au
4.Macquarie has a worse maths department.
5.Macquarie isn't as established
6.I don't go to Macquarie.

7.Therefore go to UNSW
In response to point 5, Macquarie isn't as established in most things. However, it is established in Actuarial Studies unlike the newbie Actuarial Studies at UNSW. And what are you studying? =p

It's like going to school for nuclear science and learning about trojan horses. =D

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Idyll said:
I'm going to UNSW.

UNSW bribed me with more money than MQ to go to their uni, and they say money talks, so I guess that's how it is.

edit: oh and affinity goes to unsw, that was a significant factor
are you on those 99.95 scholarships? or malcom chaikin? or Actuarial co-op?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
flyin' said:
In response to point 5, Macquarie isn't as established in most things. However, it is established in Actuarial Studies unlike the newbie Actuarial Studies at UNSW. And what are you studying? =p

It's like going to school for nuclear science and learning about trojan horses. =D
Affinity - king of Actuarial/Maths in BComm/BSc at UNSW. Also does Actuarial/Math like yourself if I'm not mistaken :p

Another strength of UNSW is the flexibility. If you find that you don't have the interest or ability for Actuarial Studies (like me :D), its very easy to change to another major. The flexibility of the Commerce degrees and the strengths of the other Schools in the Faculty of Commerce & Economics compensate for UNSW's lack of experience.

CrashOveride, come to UNSW for Actuarial/Maths, Actuarial/Finance, Actuarial/Computer Science and Actuarial/Software Engineering, among other choices...

or come for Finance/Maths :D ^.^

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
Affinity - king of Actuarial/Maths in BComm/BSc at UNSW. Also does Actuarial/Math like yourself if I'm not mistaken :p

Another strength of UNSW is the flexibility. If you find that you don't have the interest or ability for Actuarial Studies (like me :D), its very easy to change to another major. The flexibility of the Commerce degrees and the strengths of the other Schools in the Faculty of Commerce & Economics compensate for UNSW's lack of experience.

CrashOveride, come to UNSW for Actuarial/Maths, Actuarial/Finance, Actuarial/Computer Science and Actuarial/Software Engineering, among other choices...

or come for Finance/Maths :D ^.^
I don't see how that addresses the establishedness of the Actuarial program. Okay, so UNSW has a better Accounting/Economics/Finance/What-ever-else-besides-Actuarial, but what are you studying, in particular? Actuarial. So it's like majoring in Accounting and going to a university which is reknown for everything else in Commerce besides Accounting.

As I've posted in the past, if you want to become an actuary, Macquarie is the place to be. If you're not (as) interested in Actuarial, go to UNSW. =p

If you've heard any propaganda from Macq, they say they are the most flexible university. People change from degrees which need a UAI of 80 to degrees which need a UAI of 90 with relative easy (if they achieve a Pass average).

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
mq > unsw in terms of actuarial reputation =] ... also the program has run for much logner than unsw ... and perhaps most employers who are actuaries themselves would have come from macquarie

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
the employers who are actuaries are either macq graduates or are not-unsw graduates. =D (at least for some time)

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
lolz well it is the first uni in aus to start the program... so yeh id say most of them are mac hehehe ... wot other unis offer actuarial?

melbourne / anu rite?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
besides unsw, melbourne and anu are the only iaa "accredited" unis which offer actuarial studies. im sure there's at least one more but it's not accredited.

on an interesting note, someone from macq went to set up actuarial in melb just like someone from macq went to unsw to set up actuarial. can't remember about anu, but prolly the same.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
that is some quantum leap, i see.

a circle is round. therefore it has vertices?

grimreaper

HSC
Back when I thought I'd do actuarial studies the only way I would have done it at unsw and not macquarie is with co-op

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
maybe people should consider the original route towards a professional qualification as an actuary - distance education and examinations.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
maybe people should consider the original route towards a professional qualification as an actuary - distance education and examinations.
aren't we meant to be endorsing actuarial at unsw as opposed to telling them to do it externally =p

RIZAL

HSC
go to UNSW.

whispered to flyn' : we should be encouraging people to not go to macquarie because we know that when we are going for actuarial jobs in Australia, the only real choice will be between macquarie grads, therefore one less person going to macquarie is good as it is less competition for us :)

Affinity

HSC
flyin' said:
aren't we meant to be endorsing actuarial at unsw as opposed to telling them to do it externally =p
The old way is better.. you need a liberal education to be a good professional.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)