First Year Guide to Picking Electives (1 Viewer)

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Most engineers need to pick at LEAST 2 electives for first year, I've decided to create a thread so that students will be able to make a more informed decision on what subjects they should pick.

VERY IMPORTANT : I have only done a handful of electives, please help me fill this list.

You can view the elective list here :

Rules

Electives:

1) CEIC1001 (Engineering Chemistry): Provides a pretty interesting insight into chemistry. The Organic Chemistry part of the course is very straight forward in comparison to other courses.
Only about 20-25 people do this course so class sizes are small making for a more enjoyable lectures and tutes.
Labs are pretty interesting and are quite easy to get full marks in.

Difficulty rating : 5/10

2) CHEM1011 (Fundamentals of Chemistry): This course is incredibly condensed, There is a LOT of material to go through. The Organic part is mind numbing, It involves large ammounts of pointless memorisation of equations
Around 30% of this course is HSC chemistry but in greater depth.
However the topics are quite interesting, the Labs are very very easy.

Difficulty Rating : 4/10

3) MATS1101 (Materials and Chemistry): This course is divided into 2 aspects, Chemisty and Materials, If you've completed HSC chemistry you can literally miss the first 9-10 weeks of the Chemistry lectures, It is THAT easy. However the Organic chemistry part is a little harder.

The materials section is a little more difficult but its simply large chunks of memorisation, so if you have the time and patience to memorise a lot then do this course.

There are also two labs, Materials labs and Chemistry labs, The Chemistry labs are quite pointless and very long.
The materials labs on the other hand are easy since you dont actually do anything the demonstrator does everything for you.

There is also group work where you need to choose and evaluate materials that should be used in either a ship hull / propellor / bin axle etc.

Difficulty Rating : 7/10

4) CHEM1021 (Fundamentals of Chemistry 1B) : The course is a continuation of CHEM1011, It is actually quite easy and laid back in comparison, if you went well in CHEM1011 you will no doubt go very well in this course.
Labs are Quite easy (Identical to CEIC1001 Labs).
For the Organic Chemistry part of this course, it is MUCH MUCH easier than CHEM1011, you only need to memorise the mechanisms of the reactions.

Difficulty rating : 4/10

5) PHYS1221 (Physics 1B): I Absolutely love this course, This is mainly due to the fact that i could finally grasp university physics.However it is quite difficult initially.
A Knowledge of Integration and manipulation of equations is essential in this course.
This course Covers Electromagnetism (Like Motors and Generators in High School), Optics and Quantum Physics.

If you've mastered PHYS1121 Labs you will master these labs.

Reference : http://community.boredofstudies.org...197876/ultimate-guide-first-year-physics.html

Difficulty rating : 7.5-8 /10

From What I have gathered from friends:

6) MATH1081 (Discreete Mathematics) : Avoid at all costs
7) MINE1010 (Mineral Resources Engineering) : Interesting course with cool site visits.
8) CEIC1000 (Sustainable Engineering) : Easy course with some site visits and no final exam

This part was written by Forbidden and Omie Jay

9) CVEN1300 (Engineering Mechanics): This course is compulsory for Civil Engineering students and covers topics very similar to the mechanics component of Physics 1A (PHYS1121)
It is split into Statics (65%) and Dynamics (35%)
You will be required to participate in group/team activity to finish assignments involving problem solving.

10) CVEN1701 (Sustainability Systems and Principles) : This is a suggested course for students in Environmental Engineering and a waste of time for others.
The first six weeks cover principles in sustainability which is comprised entirely of theory and data which can be incredibly tiresome for those who have a short attention span.
The other six weeks covers some theory and some problem solving on systems in general and covers theory on water systems.
The mathematics required in this course is surprisingly not difficult.
Assessments include three assignments which are 20% each and the rest is made up in the final exam which is open book meaning you can bring in lecture notes and other material.

Difficulty rating : 3/10

11) MMAN1130 - Design for Manufacture
This is a project-based course, like ENGG1000 (majorly group work), but instead of making stuff with balsa wood and plastic, you use proper metal and proper metal cutting tools.
You learn about engineering drawings, manufacturing processes and how it influences the design of your product.
You also get professional (i think?) handtools training from Ultimo TAFE which teaches you about general handtools, then u learn about milling, machining, using the lathe, all so u can make ur final product in your last 3 weeks of semester.
We had to make a pump (half was allocated water, other half hydraulic) which was able to pump water/air from one place to another. So the 5 ppl in the group were each allocated part (base, cover, housing, valve, piston) and everyone's in charge of building their own part.

Safety clothing were needed to do this course (overalls, steel-capped boots, etc), u get a list from uni and gotta go buy it from the tafe, or wherever.
Also you get professional handtools recognition after completing this course, complete with a certificate from tafe.

Difficulty rating: 5/10

Majority of the course marks are given to reports, so as long as theyre fine then you'll pass. Hand drawing might be a bit hard for some people, and your final product doesnt even need to work, mine didnt, i still got 65 and credit for the course. But making the final product depends on how good u are at milling/lathing. Normally measurements are required to be almost exact, and thats where the problems occur..

This part was written by Big Tyma

12) CHEM1031 - Higher Chemistry 1C
This course is basically a continuation of high school chem with that said it does not "redo" high school chem is just used as a reference so dont expect a refresher. The course is split into two parts; quantum mechanics and organic chem. Quantum mechanics is an interesting topic; i loved this part of the course atomic sturctures, electron behaviour all good fun, however on the other hand organic chem is total hell to the extent you'll be like WTF im gonna fail for sure. Note: chem1031 organic chem is not the same as the organic chem covered in chem1011. chem1031 is far more indepth.

Lab Duration - 3 hours (initially you will be over whelmed with the amount of work you have to get done in such a short period of time but eventually you be able to finish....just on time.)

Tutorials - Get into Anna Choy's class.

You'll have to put in a decent amount of time to understand the work.

Difficulty Rating : 8.5/10

13) CHEM1041 - Higher Chemistry 1D
Let me start off by saying that Chem1041 is easier than Chem1031.
Overall its an interesting course enough so that you'll want to study it. The course is spilt into two parts, Thermodynamics/equilibrium and inorganic chem.

One notatable part of the course is the amount of group work you'll do during the labs, which amounts to a hefty portion of your marks so you better get along with your group. Another notatable aspect is that you every once in awhile during labs you'll be given an aim for the experiment and equitment available, when it comes to the method... its blank you'll have to devise your way of deducing a conclusion for the aim, which is really puts your brain cells into gear cause you only have 3 hours to create, complete and repeat (for accuracy) an experiment. Once again you'll be battling the clock, this is where your experience from chem1031 labs kicks in and you should be able to keep cool.

Lab Duration - 3 hours.

A solid course once again you'll have to put in the hours to get a respectable mark.

Difficulty rating : 7/10

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
回复: Guide to Picking First year Electives

CVEN1300 (Engineering Mechanics): This course is compulsory for Civil Engineering students and covers topics very similar to the mechanics component of Physics 1A (PHYS1121)
It is split into Statics (65%) and Dynamics (35%)
You will be required to participate in group/team activity to finish assignments involving problem solving.

CVEN1701 (Sustainability Systems and Principles) : This is a suggested course for students in Environmental Engineering and a waste of time for others.
The first six weeks cover principles in sustainability which is comprised entirely of theory and data which can be incredibly tiresome for those who have a short attention span.
The other six weeks covers some theory and some problem solving on systems in general and covers theory on water systems.
The mathematics required in this course is surprisingly not difficult.
Assessments include three assignments which are 20% each and the rest is made up in the final exam which is open book meaning you can bring in lecture notes and other material.

Difficulty rating : 3/10

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Re: 回复: Guide to Picking First year Electives

Im doing mechatronic engineering, MMAN1130 and MATS1101, was shown to be the recommended electives for my degree. Normally its a good idea to do the recommended subjects, but up to u.

Last edited:

erm

HSC
Re: Guide to Picking First year Electives

this thread is tops.

Thanks omium (and others)!

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC

Chem1031 - Higher Chemistry 1C
This course is basically a continuation of high school chem with that said it does not "redo" high school chem is just used as a reference so dont expect a refresher. The course is split into two parts; quantum mechanics and organic chem. Quantum mechanics is an interesting topic; i loved this part of the course atomic sturctures, electron behaviour all good fun, however on the other hand organic chem is total hell to the extent you'll be like WTF im gonna fail for sure. Note: chem1031 organic chem is not the same as the organic chem covered in chem1011. chem1031 is far more indepth.

Lab Duration - 3 hours (initially you will be over whelmed with the amount of work you have to get done in such a short period of time but eventually you be able to finish....just on time.)

You'll have to put in a decent amount of time to understand the work.

Difficulty Rating
: 8.5/10

Chem1041 - Higher Chemistry 1D
Let me start off by saying that Chem1041 is easier than Chem1031.
Overall its an interesting course enough so that you'll want to study it. The course is spilt into two parts, Thermodynamics/equilibrium and inorganic chem.

One notatable part of the course is the amount of group work you'll do during the labs, which amounts to a hefty portion of your marks so you better get along with your group. Another notatable aspect is that you every once in awhile during labs you'll be given an aim for the experiment and equitment available, when it comes to the method... its blank you'll have to devise your way of deducing a conclusion for the aim, which is really puts your brain cells into gear cause you only have 3 hours to create, complete and repeat (for accuracy) an experiment. Once again you'll be battling the clock, this is where your experience from chem1031 labs kicks in and you should be able to keep cool.

Lab Duration - 3 hours.

A solid course once again you'll have to put in the hours to get a respectable mark.

Difficulty rating : 7/10

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC

I miss read this subject as "Guide to picking up first years" :eek:

Omium

Knuckles
HSC

I almost forgot, reps for Forbidden / Omie Jay and Big Tyma for your contributions :)

_santa

HSC

Interesting. Thank you for this! Would anyone provide any insight about ENGG1000? Is it difficult?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC

Really easy, 80% group work, with weekly (or second-weekly) submissions. You'll need a textbook, probably better if ur group pitched in and got 1, instead of everyone getting 1 each.

erm

HSC

do you learn anything valuable in engg1000? Like learning how to approach various problems etc.

edit: do you get to choose your own groups?

Last edited:

Omie Jay

gone
HSC

its more like a project ur given, then u learn methods as to how to reach a solution to an engineering problem, how u get the design, and how u explain on paper, writing reports on ur design/choice of materials, its all in the txtbook/lecture slides.

And no, groups are chosen for u, based on ur student id i think. I was conveniently placed in a group with 2 friends from high school.

_santa

HSC

its more like a project ur given, then u learn methods as to how to reach a solution to an engineering problem, how u get the design, and how u explain on paper, writing reports on ur design/choice of materials, its all in the txtbook/lecture slides.

And no, groups are chosen for u, based on ur student id i think. I was conveniently placed in a group with 2 friends from high school.
That sounds nice. But I don't know anything about engineering of any sort. I know some physics, but just the theoretical stuff. I mean I know laws of electricity, electromagnetism but never done any practical stuff. How do they expect us to just jump in and build a machine?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC

not a machine, depends on what stream u go into.

Like, im doing mechatronic engineering, that comes under the mechanical and manufacturing engineering, or mman, so i went into the mman stream, and we had to make an air powered vehicle powered by the motor of a dustbuster vacuum cleaner. And we ended up making a working vehicle!

If ur part of the civil and environmental engineering stream (cven) then you'll be making a bridge that can withstand a certain weight toy car, but bridge must be made out of drinking straws.

Also u dont need to join the mman stream if ur doing an mman degree, i coulda chosen the cven one if i felt like it.

You'll be given info on stuff, theres like very little calculations u need to do in this course, mainly making, and report writing.

Almost everyone will be in the same boat as u, so dont worry about it, you'll be told everything u need to know.

The very first lecture will be a practice thingo where u get 1 hr to come up with ideas and make something with a random group, then u present it, which is all fun and stuff. Then u will learn about all the 15 or so different streams, what they gotta make, and stuff. Then u can choose wat stream u wanna join.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

ended up choosing psyc for my elective.

mick135

HSC

That sounds nice. But I don't know anything about engineering of any sort. I know some physics, but just the theoretical stuff. I mean I know laws of electricity, electromagnetism but never done any practical stuff. How do they expect us to just jump in and build a machine?
well I know your expecting the kind and comforting words of something like "no your gonna be spoon fed and theres no machines, unless you want a machine"
well kiddo, sorry - im doing engg1000 in sem 2 (big mistake)
theres no choice with what project you make, and i have to make a robot as my machine.
but its group work, and its unsw engineering - odds are your gonna have at least one really big brainy kid who knows what he's doing and just tells everyone else what to do.

Also, i noticed theres no thread for elec1111
This is a required subject for mech students, in second year and PV/elec students in first year.
Its fairly difficult. You either get it or you don't, I had a friend get >85 no study whereas i almost failed with heaps of study. The lecturer is also boring as hell.
I say avoid at all costs, but if you pass - it could prove helpful later on in your degree. so, its difficult - but rewarding.
(make sure you've done ext 2 before - or you'll be applying complex numbers roughly 2 weeks after you first see them)

shravan_872

HSC
Uni Grad

What about for ENGG1000 and ENGG1811?

Peter-PF7

HSC
N/A
Hi guys, was just wondering about the recommended electives in the UNSW handbook... how important is it to do electives that are recommended? I am in Mech Eng. and MATS is a recommended elective for me.. does it matter if I choose something like engineering in medicine instead that has no relevance to my course, just coz i think it looks interesting ?

D94

HSC
N/A
Not very important. Feel free to do BIOM if you want to. Plus, the hours for MATS is too damn high.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)