MATH1131 Headstart? (1 Viewer)

asadhkhan17

HSC
So, in my previous thread I said that I was unable to do the maths bridging course since I was overseas for personal reasons and that in the HSC i only did 2 units maths. So, I've pretty much been told I'm screwed. Im doing engineering and I chose MATH1131 since obviously I'm not exactly up to date with maths to do MATH1141. Just wanted to know what math topics were taught in MATH1131 before uni starts. I know I have less than 2 weeks till uni starts, but I figure anything is better than nothing. Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I reckon a 2 Unit level of maths is fine. Looking at the course structure

Looking at the course structure: Vectors, Geometry, Linear Equations and Matrices, Matrices for the ALGEBRA Section

Calculus: Functions (Sets, inequalities), Limits, Continuous functions, differentiable functions, Mean value theorem, Inverse functions, Curve sketching, Integration, Logs and exponentials, Hyperbolic functions CALCULUS section

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
If I could give you advice (I happened to tutor a student this subject last year for about 5 lessons), go through 3 Unit topics: Inverse functions, Integration (Covered in 2U), Differentiation (covered in 2U), curve sketching, logs/exponentials.

In my state, all of that algebra stuff was taught in Year 11 maths. For some reason linear algebra is not so much in the Yr 11/12 HSC maths courses here.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
If I could give you advice (I happened to tutor a student this subject last year for about 5 lessons), go through 3 Unit topics: Inverse functions, Integration (Covered in 2U), Differentiation (covered in 2U), curve sketching, logs/exponentials.

In my state, all of that algebra stuff was taught in Year 11 maths. For some reason linear algebra is not so much in the Yr 11/12 HSC maths courses here.
There isn't any linear algebra in the NSW HSC maths courses now, though there used to be some a few decades ago.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Get a book like Margaret Grove's HSC Year 12 maths book for Prelim (Green book) and HSC Maths Extension 1 (Purple Book) and go through them like crazy. (Or Fitzpatrick textbook).

No need for Cambridge book as the explanations are very theoretical. Someone like yourself needs to get the foundations right. (Even in 3U a lot of the applications like : Heating Cooling, Simple Harmonic Motion, Projectile Motion, Induction, Binomial Expansion, Probability, Permutations & Combinations, Circle Geometry Theorems and Proofs you can ignore before getting into a unit like this)

asadhkhan17

HSC
Thank you so much guys. I'm looking into all of that now. If i do well this semester its probably because of you lol.

Flop21

HSC
Isn't there an intro math class? If you're worried, just take that class instead. You might put yourself 1 sem behind, or have to do something in the summer, but if it makes you're life easier, why not.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
abuse all the free marks in 1131, class tests and maple lab tests are very easy free marks, mathsoc + others have cheat sheets for maple test as well as worked solutions for class tests

study and do the weekly tutorial questions, and ask in tutorials about the main topics.

memorise the method to do questions and you should not have any troubles

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
yeah i hear one of the guys who wrote said solutions is a legend :detective:

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
oh yeah also forgot

peter brown does some nice class test videos

Flop21

HSC
abuse all the free marks in 1131, class tests and maple lab tests are very easy free marks, mathsoc + others have cheat sheets for maple test as well as worked solutions for class tests

study and do the weekly tutorial questions, and ask in tutorials about the main topics.

memorise the method to do questions and you should not have any troubles
Do you have to be a member of that society to get their resources?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)